Has anyone had a recorded PIP assessment?

Does it take longer to wait for a PIP assessment if you ask for a recorded assessment?

Do they provide the tape or you?

This advice may not be current.

PPP assessment faqs

"•You will need to give us 3 working days notice before your assessment.

•We will ask you to sign a recording agreement. This tells you how you can later use the recording, and helps us keep your details confidential.

•You will need to use your own recording equipment. To protect all parties, DWP restricts approved devices to those that produce two identical recordings simultaneously. Please note that this does not include laptops, tablets, smartphones or MP3 players." 2015

This advice may not be current.

PPP assessment faqs

"•You will need to give us 3 working days notice before your assessment.

•We will ask you to sign a recording agreement. This tells you how you can later use the recording, and helps us keep your details confidential.

•You will need to use your own recording equipment. To protect all parties, DWP restricts approved devices to those that produce two identical recordings simultaneously. Please note that this does not include laptops, tablets, smartphones or MP3 players." 2015

Could you recommend, or say what recording equipment does this ((produces 2 identical recordings simultaneously,) and how much they cost?

Could you recommend, or say what recording equipment does this ((produces 2 identical recordings simultaneously,) and how much they cost?

Hi, have a look on ebay at "Neal interview recorder" These are what police use and they wont be cheap. I doubt they would allow two separate digital recorders at once? I presume they mean tape or cd, where you give them a signed copy in their presence.

Edited by only_me

This is an issue that has recently been highlighted by the number of people who recorded their assessment but didn't tell anybody. The recordings aren't considered as a record of the assessment unless you give them notice and can produce court or police-type recording equipment. This neatly puts people off from recording a session, but can also reduce the risk from an applicant doctoring a recording and using that to try to prove that the questions asked weren't represented truly on the forms filled in by the assessor.

I'm afraid that the days of 'I took a friend and they recorded it on their phone' have been sidestepped by the DWP, and it will cost hundreds of pounds to buy the equipment to meet their criteria.

Does anybody know a company that would hire such equipment out?

Maybe an organisation like Citizen's advice should supply them for hire.

But if the assessor is within their legal rights to refuse to be recorded then I can't see a way round it.

What has the DWP got to hide...?

Take your phone in with you and record it yourself that's the easyist way to do it and you won't believe how they lie

Take your phone in with you and record it yourself that's the easyist way to do it and you won't believe how they lie

Bear in mind that you'll need to not let them know you're recording, as they will stop the assessment.

Anything recorded by phone will not be accepted as evidence and thrown out of court without being listened to. Not only that, but record without permission and you will be the one breaking the law.

That's the point of this thread. They have made something which is easy to do, impossibly difficult so that you can't do it. That way nothing threatens their version of events. The dice is loaded. We are getting more like a Police State every day.

Anything recorded by phone will not be accepted as evidence and thrown out of court without being listened to. Not only that, but record without permission and you will be the one breaking the law.

It is not illegal to record conversations without permission- what is illegal is 'publishing' them without the other persons consent.

As for courts and tribunals, it varies, some have thrown them out, others have accepted them.

That's the point of this thread. They have made something which is easy to do, impossibly difficult so that you can't do it. That way nothing threatens their version of events. The dice is loaded. We are getting more like a Police State every day.

This is, unfortunately, true. The fact that these organisations bar recording their assessments says it all- they are basically blocking the objective recording of what actually is said/done in them, so that their distorted records actually override the truth. Stunning how our society accepts such obvious abuse of the most vulnerable :(

If you can,record your interview.

My autistic son had a face to face interview with my wife present as she is his carer as he was changing from DLA to pip.

Well let me just say the assessor or what ever you call them lied in her report giving false information to the answers that my son and wife gave to her.

We asked for a mandatory reconsideration and sent in more information and the reason why we disagreed with some of the points she(the assessor) had said my wife and son had answered.

To witch they were totally opposite to what my wife and son had said.

So now it’s going to appeal as we received the result of the mandatory reconsideration and nothing has changed.

It’s totally disgusting on the way they have assessed my son.

To me it looks like the decision is made by the person who is doing the face to face interview as they haven’t taken into account all the professional diagnosis that he has been given and the long winded form you have to fill in.

Anyway we can’t wait for our day in court as we now have as we did before written letters from all his medical services experts.

Sorry for the rant but I’ve got to say it again the assessor lied so be very very careful

Edited by jon&emma

I just dont understand this, they have the equipment as they record ESA medicals, so why not use it for PIP it makes no sense.