Old Primark building to become an EasyHotel

I know, it stuns me!

The Ibis in particular is awful.

I would rather recommend clients didn't bother coming to the city than stay in one of those areas I have to say!

It is certainly the case that a number of Sheffield hotels cater for people other than clients of law firms. I wouldn't recommend that visiting family use the Leopold or Mercure, since they would be over-expensive for their needs. It helps if we can all see outside of our respective bubbles.

To be fair it is scruffy down that side of town. Its got a little better but still need massive redevelopment.

Hen & Chickens, Betting Shop Row, Empty Shops, Begging, Drug Dealing, Castle Market Derelict land

Its not pleasant

It's been horrible down there for sodding ages.

It's a real shame because there are some beautiful old buildings around and it's an excellent city centre location.

Do you not think that building a hotel rather than leaving an empty old store to rot is maybe a contributor to lifting the area?

As for the apparent shame of putting up your client's in the city accommodation, that to me says far more about your clients than the location.

I certainly dont have any embarrassment at putting my clients up overnight in this city. The majority of which have been more than happy at the Royal Vic or Hilton.

As someone who stays over a lot myself in other locations, Sheffield is nowhere near the worst. Try the lower end of Leeds near the station and Hilton areas. Try the upper end of Corporation Street in Birmingham.

God sake - what is drama here. We should be happy for one less empty block and another addition to the ONGOING redevelopment around the whole of Castlegate / Waingate.

Yes there are some vagrants. Yes there are some areas which are more grim than others, but that's the same story in EVERY city centre.

Constant negativity from people just for the sake of it.

If they dont do something, people moan about the city lagging behind.....

When they try and build something, people criticise and make comparisons of the area around it....

When they actually do build something, people moan about the architecture, costs, clientele or purpose.....

When a building reaches the end of its life, people moan about them being left to rot and looking an eyesore....

When a company tries to redevelop or pull it down, people scream and shout that its vital to our heritage and should be kept....

When a new project is proposed, people moan its not the same as the old one and not good enough....

Round and round it goes.... Its pathetic.

Honestly makes me wonder why companies bother. Seems to me we get the city we deserve.

And relax...

First of all, yes, it's great it's being re-developed. It's long, long overdue. That was never my point, and if you care to read back at what I've said, I've not mentioned anything of the sort.

The fact remains that it's very grim down there at the moment. Having had to walk through the area for 8 years to get to work, I'm all to aware of how awful it has become (as are all the staff at the firm I worked for, but thankfully no longer do).

It would be fantastic if it were redeveloped, but I suspect that if they open the hotel now, it will be a frankly unpleasant place to stay, given the usual residents of the area. You may disagree, and that's fine. We're all entitled to our opinions. You did rant on a little though.

It's a 4-star hotel, it should be a bit more than 'really nice' :huh:

Semantics I'd say. Whilst as has been mentioned, the 'star system' is a little outdated, 4* generally would be 'really nice', whilst 3* would be 'decent' or 'acceptable'. 2* you would expect to be cheap and cheerful. 5* I would expect to be exceptional. It's all rather irrelevant though.

It is certainly the case that a number of Sheffield hotels cater for people other than clients of law firms. I wouldn't recommend that visiting family use the Leopold or Mercure, since they would be over-expensive for their needs. It helps if we can all see outside of our respective bubbles.

Again, as above, I don't disagree with you, but that wasn't my point. It would have been very long and rambling if I'd explained where I would suggest friends stay, where clients should stay, where people coming to see sporting events stay ad infinitum. My point was that for businesses, the area isn't somewhere I'd send clients. That's all. I'd have no problems sending friends to the Royal Vic or somewhere like that, but that wasn't my point. Nothing to do with bubbles.

People on here do like to read a lot into things that aren't said. It's like a chat with my wife! :)

If they could get Wilkos and B&M to move to the The Moor then they could flatten the whole area including Co-Op and build offices, apartments and hotels.

If they could get Wilkos and B&M to move to the The Moor then they could flatten the whole area including Co-Op and build offices, apartments and hotels.

They should have put the officces apartment where the moor is and developed any shopping/market with a connection to the tram.

Sheffield is getting less money from me since they made their smart moorfull decisions.

They should have put the officces apartment where the moor is and developed any shopping/market with a connection to the tram.

Sheffield is getting less money from me since they made their smart moorfull decisions.

You should go down to The Moor when you have 5 mins and i think you'll be very surprised at how busy it is.

By moving Primark, it means that students dont have to go to that part of town anymore. Which is great because Haymarket has a negative impression to visitors.

You should go down to The Moor when you have 5 mins and i think you'll be very surprised at how busy it is.

By moving Primark, it means that students dont have to go to that part of town anymore. Which is great because Haymarket has a negative impression to visitors.

Never mind, had a quick look at primark meadowhell yesterday, saw kilometres lineups for the till and turned around.

The new Primark is surprisingly good! Plus there's a huge Blacks, Krispy Kreme and a few other good bits. The market is a vast improvement on the old one too. It's felt very quiet the last few times I've been down though.

It's a 4-star hotel, it should be a bit more than 'really nice' :huh:

Star system isn't about quality of the hotel though. it's about facilities. I think the Easy gets a 4* rating as it has a gym in addition to the staples like bar and restaurant. I have actually stayed in a very nice 2* hotel in York before, that simply got that rating as it only had a breakfast room, not a restaurant and bar.

The new Primark is surprisingly good! Plus there's a huge Blacks, Krispy Kreme and a few other good bits. The market is a vast improvement on the old one too. It's felt very quiet the last few times I've been down though.

But how busy was the old market?

People like to look at Castle market with rose tinted glasses but it wasn't fit for purpose and very unpopular in its last 5 years of use.

But how busy was the old market?

People like to look at Castle market with rose tinted glasses but it wasn't fit for purpose and very unpopular in its last 5 years of use.

It was awful! The new one is less busy, but far less awful! :)

It was awful! The new one is less busy, but far less awful! :)

It was filthy and stunk of 30 years of fish juice.

I only went in there to get keys cut. They were alot more cheaper than those robbing so & so's at Timpson's