VAT on PAYG Top Ups?

Google has failed me on this one - we have moved to full VAT accounting and my phone is still on PAYG (mostly I get incoming calls) - however I have been unable to find out if Top Ups are inc VAT or ex VAT, lots of conflicting views out there

FWIW none of my £10 vouchers or receipts show a VAT number or VAT breakdown

Vodaphone T&Cs point B, top ups include VAT.

point B goes on to say ". . . if it applies"

there seems to be some confusion over whether it does apply

opinion I have found on google includes both views. I have talked to 2 professionals so far and got 2 different answers . . .

Buy a top-up from a shop, ask for a receipt and see if there is a VAT breakdown.

You're right, it does, I didn't spot that.

I can say for sure that B2B mobile phone contracts include vat, I can't see why a payg would be any different.

I suspect that the caveat is because some people (registered disabled for example) can buy a phone contract/payg as a vat exempt item.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4033407

See here for a discussion about actually trying to get a shop to sell it vat free.

I was told by my accountant that I could only include mobile phone as a business expense if it were on a separate contract.

A contract in the name of your business might be more accurate. My phone is in my business name, presumably the OP does the same.