On the rise of fascism.

It depends on who is behind fascism and the qualities this person or group of people has.

Depending on these qualities it can become good or bad, in this society it will usually become a bad thing.

Does it? How so? I cannot envisage any scenario where the prohibition of discussion can be anything but malevolent.

Opposing it being constantly vigilant uses a lot of energy you can use to go beyond these lower things yourself. It is very easy to go beyond fascism and leave that world behind. Then when fascism manifests you realise it is something meaningless and why bother investing energy into it?

What an odd thing to say: it appears to amount to: "ignore it, it's not important", when clearly it is.

Are there any real Fascists in the UK? Serious question. I know there are plenty of "anti fascists" but I don't think many people have plans for invading Poland or building gas chambers.

Are there any real Fascists in the UK? Serious question. I know there are plenty of "anti fascists" but I don't think many people have plans for invading Poland or building gas chambers.

Yes do your homework, there's plenty of neo Nazi skinheads and others on the extreme edge of the bnp, edl etc still, they may not be invading Poland but they do cry out about the "holo hoax" and sieg heil a lot

---------- Post added 29-08-2017 at 13:02 ----------

Funnily enough I was reading this earlier

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-40779377

Good read, and also interesting about all extremists too not just Nazis, a similar mind set

Ah "Fascist" means different things to different people expansionism and genocide are not AFAIK essential requirements.

Yes do your homework, there's plenty of neo Nazi skinheads and others on the extreme edge of the bnp, edl etc still, they may not be invading Poland but they do cry out about the "holo hoax" and sieg heil a lot...

Proving my point somewhat: "Nazi" and "fascist" are not synonymous: they mean very different things.

From the definition in OP, I would cite the suppression of criticism as an essential element, and add to it the principle that the state comes before the individual, but I don't see how that is very much different from Spock's assertion that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

If you read the dictionary definition in the first post, why would you only associate fascism with the far right white European flavour of extremism?

If you read the dictionary definition in the first post, why would you only associate fascism with the far right white European flavour of extremism?

I wouldn't. If you'd read and understood the first post, then you would probably realise that.

To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.

Fascism is a word that gets thrown around a lot these days and probably means different things to different people. I think political correctness and Islam are both forms of fascism.

If we're being picky I suppose the word fascist should only be applied to the Italian govt from about 1933 to about 1942.

The word, as mentioned above, is used as an insult to anyone who is racist or has right wing leanings.

You could argue that there is a liberal totalitarianism as a dominant ideology today.

---------- Post added 29-08-2017 at 14:33 ----------

Fascism is a word that gets thrown around a lot these days and probably means different things to different people. I think political correctness and Islam are both forms of fascism.

Says you, as you throw the word around

Ah "Fascist" means different things to different people expansionism and genocide are not AFAIK essential requirements.

Proving my point somewhat: "Nazi" and "fascist" are not synonymous: they mean very different things.

From the definition in OP, I would cite the suppression of criticism as an essential element, and add to it the principle that the state comes before the individual, but I don't see how that is very much different from Spock's assertion that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Reading the wiki about fascism I think the Nazis fit right in, not viewing violence as automatically negative and being against Marxists, liberals and anarchists very much so in my dealings with nazis

To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.

very good and i agree:D

There is a large section of society that merely want western Europe and the United States to retain its Christian heritage and values and to remain majority white. And there is nothing wrong with that. You'd expect Japanese people to want Japan to remain Japanese, Africa to be majority black, and so on. Jews CERTAINLY want Israel to be predominantly Jewish. No one bats an eye lid at this, but when whites state they want Europe to be predominantly white Christian, ooo that's fascist and nasty, a big no no.