Carling admits it's lager is weaker than advertised

If you drink carling then you deserve everything you get. Its weaker than a nun's pee

The norm in the industry is to show ABV for beers etc. to one percentage point.

For Carling just to say 4% was implying 4.0%.

They claim that an error of .5% is acceptable. I haven't found that in any guideline. I have found .3%, but am happy to be shown otherwise.

I also would like to see them show when they have sold their lager at 4.5% at no extra charge? They won't, because the taxman would hav'em.

But let's face it - a margin of 0.3% in 3.7% is a variation of 8%.

When prices are being based on ABV, this can be worth around 25p per pint.

C P from the link in post 1

According to EU laws relating to the labelling of alcohol, products are allowed an ABV tolerance of +0.5% or -0.5% on products between 1.2% and 5.5% ABV.

According to EU laws relating to the labelling of alcohol, products are allowed an ABV tolerance of +0.5% or -0.5% on products between 1.2% and 5.5% ABV.

Have you been inside a modern and almost completely automated brewery?

They're virtually like laboratories. The ABV tolerance is very small with that kit, and with the uniformity of the ingredients used as inputs.

I can read.

Now go find the regulations.

Any modern brewery pretending it can't fairly precisely control the ABV has to be suspected of some kind of ruse.

I mean it looks like the strength of the product is more important to accountants than the customers. When that happens something has gone wrong.

Maybe it's the taxation system and not fair to point the blame at the brewers.

Had a carling once, confirmed all my preconceptions about British beer. Thank god for real ale.

I can read.

Now go find the regulations.

This any good

C & P

he tolerances allowed in respect of the indication of the alcoholic strength by volume are:

0.3 % for beverages not mentioned below;

0.5 % vol. for beers having an alcoholic strength not exceeding 5.5 % vol. and beverages made from grapes classified under subheading 22.07 B II of the Common Customs Tariff;

1 % vol. for beers having an alcoholic strength exceeding 5.5 % vol. and beverages made from grapes classified under subheading 22.07 B I of the Common Customs Tariff, ciders, perries and other similar fermented beverages produced from fruits other than grapes, and beverages based on fermented honey;

1.5 % vol. for beverages containing macerated fruit or parts of plants.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=LEGISSUM:l32005

Had a carling once, confirmed all my preconceptions about British beer. Thank god for real ale.

Carling is not a british beer, blame the canadians for it!

This any good

C & P

he tolerances allowed in respect of the indication of the alcoholic strength by volume are:

0.3 % for beverages not mentioned below;

0.5 % vol. for beers having an alcoholic strength not exceeding 5.5 % vol. and beverages made from grapes classified under subheading 22.07 B II of the Common Customs Tariff;

1 % vol. for beers having an alcoholic strength exceeding 5.5 % vol. and beverages made from grapes classified under subheading 22.07 B I of the Common Customs Tariff, ciders, perries and other similar fermented beverages produced from fruits other than grapes, and beverages based on fermented honey;

1.5 % vol. for beverages containing macerated fruit or parts of plants.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=LEGISSUM:l32005

That is reflective of the state of brewing on the continent. Many small, local and city-focused breweries using variable ingredients. Walk into a supermarket in Germany and the range of beers is literally mind-boggling. So many local and city breweries, so many varieties of beer. With our craft beer revival we are maybe a small part of the way to getting back to that in the UK.

In the UK we are dominated by breweries that are effectively laboratory-breweries on an industrial scale, and for them to hide behind laws that are designed to protect smaller brewers whose output varies because of traditionally variable inputs is pretty much disgusting when the industrial breweries work to strict standards for inputs.