Windows 10 update on 32 GB laptop - Not enough space

Hi, I have a free lenovo ideapad 32 Gb storage with windows 10 installed. I keep getting the message that it is unable to install updates as insufficient storage space. I have an external storage device I use for photos, music etc. I have taken off all the programmes I loaded, it still says insufficient storage. Can anyone advise if there is a process, easy to understand that I can follow to do the update. I have tried looking on microsoft website and google search for solutions, but that seems to come up with people ridiculing the 32 gb, not really any solutions- so not helpful. Thanks

If you go into any branch of CEX I guarantee you will find several HP Stream laptops, one thing they all have in common; Win 10 and a 32GB SSD.

32GB is not sufficient for Win 10 and upgrading isn't feasible as the SSD is soldered to the board.

I don't know what model yours is but it may be worth checking online to see if the SSD can be removed/replaced, if it can you can pick up a 64GB for around £30.00

If you can't it MAY be possible to drop back to Win 7 (if drivers are available) or (and please no 'yawn' responses this time) you can always install a lightweight Linux Distro like Mint XFCE

* Copy all the documents, photographs etc onto external media and/or the Cloud then delete from the laptop.

* Delete all the unwanted programmes/apps.

* Go into disk cleanup and remove the windows.old folder.

This will free up space and you should be able to install the updates. I have a 32GB hybrid laptop which is fully updated and still has space so you should be able to do it as well.

I am sure I read that someone on here had a similar problem with low mwmory and someone gave a link about how to get windows to update using a memory stick.

As Jomie said though..

You could also disable the page and swap files, turn off system restore, disable hibernate, disable indexing and use disk cleanup that should free up some space. Or alternatively if you can get someone to use the media creation tool, download the latest windows build (1809) and create a USB as that should have most of the major updates in it. Then do a fresh install of windows 10.

"It's coming back to me Sharon! I'm having flash backs" (Ozzy Osborne in the remake of Ghostbusters) - for me the Flash backs are to Asus eeePc's with 10 Gb SSD spit 4/6 (4 for OS, 6 for Data) XP crashed because it ran out of room for the updates! LOL!

Wouldn't it be better to sell on ebay and put towards a decent notebook? (I refuse to say Laptop as it is a misnomer and engenders bad practice! :D )

The bad practice is not reading or understanding the OPs post where it states "people ridiculing the 32 gb, not really any solutions- so not helpful." Sigh!

If you have tried the standard...

Windows disk Clean UP

Removing Un-Needed apps/programs

Cookies/Temporary file cleanup

Storing personal files/documents on an External Drive or USB Stick.

The only real solution(s) are..

A) Back up all your files, and prepare a Windows 10 install USB, with the latest version... - install a clean/fresh Windows 10..

B) do the above 'standard' solutions (such as disk cleanup and removing un needed programs) and try to update again..

C) upgrade the SSD if possible

D) replace your 'laptop' (32GB is only JUST enough for Windows 10, if you are only web browsing, and not downloading things, or installing other apps, or storing your personal files/documents)

Hi, I have a free lenovo ideapad 32 Gb storage with windows 10 installed. I keep getting the message that it is unable to install updates as insufficient storage space. I have an external storage device I use for photos, music etc. I have taken off all the programmes I loaded, it still says insufficient storage. Can anyone advise if there is a process, easy to understand that I can follow to do the update. I have tried looking on microsoft website and google search for solutions, but that seems to come up with people ridiculing the 32 gb, not really any solutions- so not helpful. Thanks

If its possible how about one of these

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-ssd-drive-560mb-s.html?wgu=711_116019_15388030267001_3784a07008&wgexpiry=1546579026&source=Webgains

I still run a couple of 32GB devices but not for main use, as such I don't install a lot or keep many files on them.

I go for:-

1. Right click on the C drive and click on properties then select Disk clean-up (tick all boxes) Then click on Clean up system files on the same pop up window (tick all the boxes) Select yes/delete to any warnings. It can take a long time to finish... wait.

2. Try the update again.

3. If there's still not enough room, delete programs you can easily reinstall. Also look in the downloads folder and delete what you can, repeat step 2

If I fitted an SSD to my HP laptop would that mean I would have to reinstall windows 7 which is what I have on now?

If I fitted an SSD to my HP laptop would that mean I would have to reinstall windows 7 which is what I have on now?

You could clone the hard drive to the SSD but I'd go for a clean install every time.

The choice is yours. If you decided to clone, a free option is macrium reflect free.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

It is possible to run Windows 10 on a 32GB netbook (I have one meself) but it is a constant struggle to stay on top of things, especially when Megasoft’s huuuge Win 10 updates arrive several times a year :)

Once you’ve got the basics such as Windows 10, Office and antivirus installed, there’s barely 10GB free space available.