The Great Big UGC & Cinema Thread

I have a UGC card. £10 a month for unlimited cinema. Very good thing. 20 screens. Very good thing. Just a shame the cinema sucks monkey butt.

-Sound. At least 70% of the time there is a glitch with the sound making it come from just 1 side or sounding underwater.

-Screen (projection?). Why have about 10 adverts with subtitles when the projection is set so that the subtitles are too low to read.

-Food. Overcharging of a captive market sucks.

-Those new revolving doors. Possibly more dangerous than trying to perform open heart surgery on yourself. With just a spoon. Blindfolded. Using just your feet.

-Toilets. Smell really bad all the time. Like a dead baboon covered in cat p**s.

Front of house staff all seem ok. The above issues all seem to be technical and 'rear of house' issues. Do they employ said baboons to run the behind the scenes bits of the cinema and then leave them to rot in the toilet after dying of malnutrition due to the high cost of food?

I've got an unlimited card too - have had a card since the days when Mr Branson owned the cinema (was a Virgin) and you got a discount on food with your card ! They also had the Premier screens [numbers 19 and 20] and a nice but expensive-looking restaurant downstairs. Those were the days !

Agree with much of what u say !

Sound - occasionally there isnt any - very confusing ! Good for learning lip-reading though

Screen - have seen them projecting the ads on the slide projector upside down and also on the ceiling. Not good for neck. Good for Australians though

Food - always bring my own - Boots meal deal (bought in town on way to valley centretainment) is good as you get decent triple pack of sarnies, pud and drink for 2.99. Price of drinks in bar upstairs isnt bad sometimes. Go drown your sorrows there. Good for a drink b4 watching such weirdness as 'Shaolin Soccer'. Just watch out for mates that have a drink before such films as 'Saw' as they will throw up and ruin enjoyment of the film...

Doors - avoid washing machine door by waiting for someone to open the doors either side of the revolver. Use these doors for quick exit from cinema before the chavs, or to catch tram before them

Toilets - get in there before others do...

There was a thread on other peoples experiences of UGC but cant find it.

Having said all this, I've seen Lemony Splicket and National Treasure in past week and all was fine on both trips :thumbsup:

You can always go to the Odeon. That makes a watching a film on a gameboy look good!

omg how can you complain about UGC:confused:

it is the best cinema complex in Sheffield!!

Like neeeeeeeeeek says, you can always go the odean for that quality your looking for then!! :loopy:

enjoy.

ps. hope you get Mr Tall infront of you, since the seats there hardly slope down, you'll have a wonderful view!! :hihi:

Its ok. The customers tend to be the problem in there. Scum central. How to look after kids? Buy them an unlimited pass and let them run wild.....

Odeon is awful but will go there is I can get out in afternoon.

Just really go to Showroom now....

UGC is by far the best cinema around, we should really be thankful we have such a nice one in our lovely city!!

yes obviously sometimes they do have techinical problems, but what cinema does not??

NOW the problem i did have was when they run out of cheese for my nachos, i was willing to let this slide and have salsa instead (even though i dont really like it) and they had run out of jallepino peppers too...... ROOOAAARRRRR how could they??

Originally posted by HottyMcBuff

-Sound. At least 70% of the time there is a glitch with the sound making it come from just 1 side or sounding underwater.

-Screen (projection?). Why have about 10 adverts with subtitles when the projection is set so that the subtitles are too low to read.

-Food. Overcharging of a captive market sucks.

-Those new revolving doors. Possibly more dangerous than trying to perform open heart surgery on yourself. With just a spoon. Blindfolded. Using just your feet.

-Toilets. Smell really bad all the time. Like a dead baboon covered in cat p**s.

You dont like it then . . . ?

Personally, I've got to agree with Steelybabs. I think it's great, legroom, easy access, nice big auditoriums . . if only I didn't get an annoying Chav/student/nacho's-loving-screaming git sat behind me everytime it would be excellent.

Originally posted by steelcitybab

omg how can you complain about UGC:confused:

it is the best cinema complex in Sheffield!!

Like neeeeeeeeeek says, you can always go the odean for that quality your looking for then!! :loopy:

enjoy.

ps. hope you get Mr Tall infront of you, since the seats there hardly slope down, you'll have a wonderful view!! :hihi:

Read neeeeeeeeks post again and you'll see why odeon is off the list. Never been to Vue though. Stupid name. Showroom does show the best films at good prices but I do enjoy the other, big, unabashed blockbusters that they don't usually show. I settle for UGC cos I have unlimited card to save money and their most redeeming feature is their willingness to show tartan asia films. For that, they do rock.

ps. I don't read Mr Men, maybe you could lend me your copy.

I wish they would use digital projectors to get rid of those annoying flickers and occasional "blobs" on the screen.

Also sometimes the food area is very sticky under foot, parking is insufficent at peak times and they do not have enough ticket people at busy times resulting in a large queue.

Other than that, UGC is pretty good.

The Showroom is by far the best cinema in Sheffield.

Originally posted by Micky

I wish they would use digital projectors to get rid of those annoying flickers and occasional "blobs" on the screen.

Also sometimes the food area is very sticky under foot, parking is insufficent at peak times and they do not have enough ticket people at busy times resulting in a large queue.

Other than that, UGC is pretty good.

People get funny about vintage marks though, like getting comfort from the pop and crackle of an old record with yer pipe and slippers.

So pardon me for getting technical but if you had a digital projector and dur.. a digital movie, a picture expanded so much as to fill a cinema wall would get pixelated instead of grainy.. i'll take the grain!

the one thing that annoys me is that they charge more if you book online.

it saves them money damn it. They need less staff on tills, the experience is more pleasant for everyone as the queuing time is shorter. Why should I pay 50p more when it benefits them as much as me?