RIP Vincent Paul Abbott aka Vinnie Paul

I'm aware that I'm a little late to post this, but I thought I would anyway seeing as it came as such a shock.

Vinnie Paul - drummer for Pantera, Damageplan and Hellyeah - died of a heart attack on 22/06/2018.

As a teen and just getting in to the rock/metal world, I'd heard Metallica and G'N'R and all the classics. But, it wasn't until a family friend gave me a metal compilation tape that I discovered the true, sonic brutality and majesty of the really heavy stuff.

Mouth For War by Pantera was one of the first couple of tracks - the sheer intensity and groove blew me away and I was instantly hooked!!!

'Legend' gets chucked around a lot in the modern day, but the legacy that Pantera built in the metal world cannot be underestimated, and Vinnie's part in that is huge; from a drumming perspective, through his production and his vision for the band, he is a legend.

I don't think he ever truly recovered from the death of his brother, but he continued to make music and live his life on his terms until the end.

For those who are unaware of just how well thought of Pantera were - Vinnie was cover star on most of the big drumming publications over time, and his brother, Dimebag Darrell, was buried with one of Eddie Van Halen's most iconic guitars.

I raise a 'Black Tooth Grin' in his honour...

Threeeeeeeeeeeeeeee \m/ \m/