Strange Pub Names

Iv got a book on Sheffield pubs some of the pubs have some really strange names or even nicknames that now seem odd. Here's a few examples: Gas Tank Tavern, Timber top, Shout them down a nickname for a long gone Paradise Square boozer, White Rails can you name a pub that has had or still does have a odd name?

Iv got a book on Sheffield pubs some of the pubs have some really strange names or even nicknames that now seem odd. Here's a few examples: Gas Tank Tavern, Timber top, Shout them down a nickname for a long gone Paradise Square boozer, White Rails can you name a pub that has had or still does have a odd name?

Who Can Tell,it was on Botham Street Sheff 4,cannot find out the origin of the name.

Who Can Tell,it was on Botham Street Sheff 4,cannot find out the origin of the name.

I was going to say that very pub, One reason I read was that at some time, perhaps 1920's there was a discussion in the place as to who was going to win a certain horse race- no tv's. or legal bookies then- the answer being 'Who Can Tell ?', which leads to wonder what it was called then.

The pub down neepsend that used to be called the monkey not sure why,its been closed a long time it was a wards pub its a hose sales place now.

Guest makapaka

The boomerang?

The pub down neepsend that used to be called the monkey not sure why,its been closed a long time it was a wards pub its a hose sales place now.

I think it's proper name was "The Victoria Hotel" but not absolutely certain. And I don't know where the name "Monkey" came from.

I have known lots of pubs with strange patrons LOL:D

It's now monkey works. I think I heard the landlord used to have a pet monkey maybe?

I think it's proper name was "The Victoria Hotel" but not absolutely certain. And I don't know where the name "Monkey" came from.

yes Victoria Hotel was it's name, as for 'Monkey' don't know but there was another pub in Darnall that had the same nickname.

I have known lots of pubs with strange patrons LOL:D

Go on tell all then?

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 21:57 ----------

Their was a pub called Why Not supposedly named after a race horse the same applies to the Who Can Tell pub and the Cossack which was named after a Derby winner in the 1840s.

The Closed Shop and the North Pole. Not to mention the Bull & Mouth in Waingate. The name has nothing to do with livestock - it commemorates a naval victory at the "mouth" of a French harbour "Boulogne Mouth". :)

Edited by hillsbro

The cuckoo, on gleadless road near where the upper heeley club used to be