The Tramlines Festival 2012 Megathread

I know of at least one independent venue last year that was asked to make a contribution towards the Tramlines running costs. (there may have been more)

The owner of this venue thought that they had already contributed through their substantial business rates, so they would not pay an additional fee, and would rather do their own independent promotions outside of Tramlines than pay a fee to be 'involved'.

This same scenario would be played out in the vast majority of bars across the city centre, if there were charges to be involved.

It was another great weekend. As a community cultural event I think it contributes a lot to the city and that is why for the 4th year running I decided to work all weekend for nothing. I had fun. I feel like I gave something back to my home town. I was knackered at the end of it, and a few quid down in expenses. But that's the deal.

Robbie is correct to identify the fact that some participate in Tramlines mainly because there is profit in it for them. Nothing wrong with that. I'm particularly keen that places that do a proper job of putting on music through the year should be profitable. I'm not sure I quite accept Jared's point that the additional costs to venues incurred are so enormous as to squeeze extra profits that much. If there was a real risk that by putting on music, a venue would make a loss over Tramlines weekend, then I'm pretty sure there'd be less music on, instead of the enormous growth we've seen year on year.

However, I accept that there'd be no way of administering an additional fee to participating venues, whilst the festival is set up as it is.

I suppose it is a bit disappointing though, when I hear of venues which aren't inclined to offer acts that have filled their bar a few quid for petrol or a bit of food or something. This isn't really on.

I think the local authority could think of ways to generate additional income through the festival and direct this to supporting artists, musicians and studios etc throughout the year. Because they're part of the local economy too. And there is a danger that suspicion will begin to pollute the good feeling that currently exists; that the many are being exploited to profit a few. And that would be a shame because I think Tramlines really could have a long term impact on the cultural life of the city, if managed sensibly and fairly. Transparency always helps in these cases and if the accounts were published I'm sure that'd nip things in the bud.

Anyway, it's worth remembering, if you made a profit over the weekend, however small, you did a s**t load better than 90% of the musicians, who through rehearsal space fees, strings, leads and sundries, transport and refreshment, impact on other paid work etc will almost certainly be in the hole. I wandered around, and there was some really first rate stuff on show. I know from an economic p.o.v. we've an oversupply of musicians in the world but quality songs and musicianship involves thousands of hours of work. A free gig from a good musician is like a free design from an architect or a free filling from the dentist. Valuable.

So let's keep Tramlines free but also fair for all. And here's to many more years of it.

What happens when the Bowery* are asked by Tramlines for their money, and the Bowery* just go "we're not doing Tramlines, we just happen to be open this weekend and just happening to be putting on few bands, just co-incidence".

*Or any other venue

Why would they? Tramlines began with them and DQ to get people in over the summer. People seem to forget that one. This year, there were too many venues jumping on the bandwagon to be honest. And

Fact is, if you were listed on the official timeline of events, you were meant to do certain things - free entry for example, although I know at least one venue did otherwise. Some venues didn't take part in Tramlines officially (Carver st venues [Except for Viper], Embrace and Steelhouse didn't for example.) but were still open, and promoting their venues.

However, you have to bear in mind that bar staff/promo staff have to be out from stupid o'clock to stupid o'clock working. Some people racked up 14 hour shifts on Friday and Saturday for example. The costs associated with staying open with a lot more staff than usual have to be balanced out. Especially as midweek Sheffield's nightlife is rather.. quiet.

Overall, it was a great weekend - but the sponsorship from brands/businesses has to increase, or they'll have to start charging. To be honest, I think I wouldn't mind paying a few quid to get in. It'd cover the costs, means we can get big acts in, and also pay staff for the work they put in (Bar staff for example - long hours behind a bar gets knackering.)

Blimey Bobs123. I had honestly assumed the bar staff were getting paid. I've done bar work and kitchen work many times over the years and whilst I'm no stranger to long shifts I'd've thought employers are running the risk of a prosecution if they're not paying minimum wage at least. That definitely needs sorting if true.

Blimey Bobs123. I had honestly assumed the bar staff were getting paid. I've done bar work and kitchen work many times over the years and whilst I'm no stranger to long shifts I'd've thought employers are running the risk of a prosecution if they're not paying minimum wage at least. That definitely needs sorting if true.

If you volunteer to do it, then its not illegal. Although volunteering to work over a weekend on any busy festival would be a bit mental.

And having checked it, bars were paying staff, my bad. :shakes:

Why would they? Tramlines began with them and DQ to get people in over the summer. People seem to forget that one. This year, there were too many venues jumping on the bandwagon to be honest. And

I've always thought the genius of tramlines was that any venue could take part - which is why its grown as fast as it has. Good to see Plug back involved as well...

I've always thought the genius of tramlines was that any venue could take part - which is why its grown as fast as it has. Good to see Plug back involved as well...

Exactly right. It's free in every sense of the word.

Here's a review of the Frankie Rose set from Barker's Pool on the Saturday.

Enjoy.

Personally speaking I think a good idea might be having donation buckets on the main stage and a donation button on the website where the public can show their support on a completely voluntary basis without having to buy a ticket. That would surely generate thousands of pounds of extra revenue.

I'm pretty sure that Tramlines 2011 offered people the chance to send a premium text message for £5 that acted as a donation. I didn't see a similar service this year?

Tramlines 2012 were REYT GOOD yet again - Glastonbury aside, surely the greatest UK festival - paid or free! Highlights: 65daysofstatic @ New Music Stage, Slaves @ upstairs at the Great Gatsby, and Cassette Jam playing some killer dubstep in the Saturday evening sunshine to a huge, grinning and dancing crowd @ West One Rox, West One Plaza Sheffield. Got so much love for Sheffield!

Tramlines 2011 was brilliant. i love tramlines. cant wait for it...

I think you probably missed it.