Sheffield needed a bar like Classic Rock

Well by chance and the internet - this group. I found it.

Went to Classic Rock. Bingo. New local.

Was welcomed made to feel great had a gallon with Andy & Eve. It was a great atmosphere. Stella was cold, Music great and even had a drum kit you could beat the F&^%$ out of !!!

Had a kip in the afternoon and went back for more in the night! Even better, there were some drummers who could actually play the darn things!

Music brilliant and such a great bunch of lads and lasses...Great hosts Sass & Buffy I do appreciate it. (I think I left my coat there)

What a brilliant place try it - you'll love it

Steve

We could tell that you loved it! I think you talked to absolutely everyone in the pub that day! I've booked you onto the air guitar competition on Thursday.......!

Thanks for the great review btw.

Buffy

There is certainly a good market for more alternative concept pubs in Sheffield. We currently have Classic Rock, Dove and Rainbow, Boardwalk (under), Sportsman (Cambridge street)and that is more or less about it for pure alternative-ness, unless I have missed one totally undiscovered gem?

Frankly, the run of the mill happy karoake/dance music DJ wine bar full of "townies" in the "trendy" sense of the term (tempted to use stronger terms to describe them but will refrain) is sickening. West Street/Division street has become a no go area for me, as a man with a tassled biker jacket and long hair I get insulted, laughed at, pointed at: my God that never happened 5 years ago even.....

I have always refused to cut my hair to 1mm off my scalp, and wear short sleeved C & A clothing, and generally behave like a rude, belligerent arsehole who cant control their cheap watered down warm lager in their tacky, trashy, neon filled crap dance DJ environments.

Well, it needed saying. MORE POWER TO ALTERNATIVE PUBS!!!!!

West Street/Division street has become a no go area for me, as a man with a tassled biker jacket and long hair I get insulted, laughed at, pointed at:

:mad::o

Classic rock rules.

I have only been the once, but on thursday, I will be there with a gaggle of mates to celebrate my 21st.

Lots of drink :) and then off to corporation.

How much longer are you guys there for? I heard rumours that its closing, say it aint so, say it aint so!

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Frankly, the run of the mill happy karoake/dance music DJ wine bar full of "townies" in the "trendy" sense of the term (tempted to use stronger terms to describe them but will refrain) is sickening. West Street/Division street has become a no go area for me, as a man with a tassled biker jacket and long hair I get insulted, laughed at, pointed at: my God that never happened 5 years ago even.....

I have always refused to cut my hair to 1mm off my scalp, and wear short sleeved C & A clothing, and generally behave like a rude, belligerent arsehole who cant control their cheap watered down warm lager in their tacky, trashy, neon filled crap dance DJ environments.

Well, it needed saying. MORE POWER TO ALTERNATIVE PUBS!!!!!

Oh no GoldenFleece, what about openmindedness? what about eclectism?! You'll occasionally find me listening to a spot of Bruce Dickinson, and I was force fed Pink Floyd by my best mate many years ago. Kiss, The Clash, and The Cure all were part of my musical education when I were wee lad many years ago... therefore all things leather and tassled are cool by me. Yes I am one of those Division Street types, and I think that you are being a tad judgemental about us and our tastes. Surely a city as diverse and as cool as Sheffield has more than enough space for rockers, trendies, reggaeheads, house/techno kids, hip-hop lovers, folk music types, classical music afficianados, the R&B massive, northern soul crews, bhangra beat boyz... (the list goes on)

Rant over

Zeddy

Guess your right. There has always been diff "trends" in music existing side by side. In Sheffield 20-22 years ago there were the rockers and hippies, living sort of in vague harmony with the "new romantics" and "trendies" of the period (just not skinheads!!). Today, the term trendy seems a bit dated to use in a way, but I agree about open mindedness and all that......

I was having a BAD day at the time I wrote that!!!