Sign in to follow this  

Troy vs. GMTV

Saw Troy...enjoyed the battle scenes, thought the casting of Mr Pitt was a little misguided and that the non-action scenes were weak...but overall liked the spectacle of Homer on the big-screen...

Then I watched as the resident muppet that GMTV (that's Gormless Moronic Television, just for the record) employ to comment on soap operas and relaity tv drop the line to the effect that there was no story to the film.

Does anyone else think that this guy is a bit out of his league in declaring a Homeric epic to be devoid of a story?

Meh, he's entitled to his opinion... Although yeah he maybe should stick to waxing lyrical on the topic of Eastenders and Corrie.

When I read the title of this thread I thought there was going to be a fight between Bradd Pitt and Eamonn Holmes :P

Well I thought it was going to be along the lines of:

GMTV:

1)Sunbed Tans

2)Semi-intelligent puppets

3)Catchphrases and 20 year old buzz words (think 'groovy prizes' and 'look at the bling Eamonn!')

Troy:

1)Sunbed tans

2)Semi-intelligent puppets...

3)Catchphrases and words that are several thousand years too modern (think 'we'll kill those god damn Trojans no matter what it takes')

Originally posted by Carmine

Saw Troy...enjoyed the battle scenes, thought the casting of Mr Pitt was a little misguided and that the non-action scenes were weak...but overall liked the spectacle of Homer on the big-screen...

Then I watched as the resident muppet that GMTV (that's Gormless Moronic Television, just for the record) employ to comment on soap operas and relaity tv drop the line to the effect that there was no story to the film.

Does anyone else think that this guy is a bit out of his league in declaring a Homeric epic to be devoid of a story?

From what I understand (having not ventured near the film or GMTV) the film does rather cut down on the original version's nine year siege of the city.

Originally posted by Carmine

I find the story lines in the Simpsons to be much better than any soap. I didn't know that a full length Troy episode had hit the cinemas. I can't imagine how they can make a full length feature revolve around that has-been actor character though.

I don't think those episodes with guest stars work as well, so the comment about Brad Pitt tends to confirm this view.

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

I find the story lines in the Simpsons to be much better than any soap. I didn't know that a full length Troy episode had hit the cinemas. I can't imagine how they can make a full length feature revolve around that has-been actor character though.

I don't think those episodes with guest stars work as well, so the comment about Brad Pitt tends to confirm this view.

Lol....sarcasm don't work so well over the net yknow...

Originally posted by noseyrosie

Well I thought it was going to be along the lines of:

GMTV:

1)Sunbed Tans

2)Semi-intelligent puppets

3)Catchphrases and 20 year old buzz words (think 'groovy prizes' and 'look at the bling Eamonn!')

Troy:

1)Sunbed tans

2)Semi-intelligent puppets...

3)Catchphrases and words that are several thousand years too modern (think 'we'll kill those god damn Trojans no matter what it takes')

Comparisons:

Film - Drags on for 3 hrs or so - It felt like it

GMTV - Drags on for 3 hrs or so

Film- Very boring, I fell asleep through it

GMTV - Very boring I am asleep through it.

Shame I didn't see it at Don Valley UGC - I probabally wouldn't have seen it the whole way through without some problem through it somewhere along the lines (See sperarate thread in "Going Out In Sheff: UGC Cinema: Don Valley" Something along those lines it was called!!

I haven't seen the film as yet.. I've grown a bit weiry of the epic for a while (not that I won't get it from Blockbuster when it's out).. but I wouldn't take anything that self satisfied arse on GMTV says about anything as a guide. Who the hell is he anyway? I can't work out whether he actually is gay or just affects the camp mannerisms to appear terribly arty. Now I wouldn't make slapping blokes like him illegal.. GET A JOB AND STOP WATCHING NEIGHBOURS YOU GRET JESSIE.

The chap does bring a new level of smarm to morning television, I find the bitchy comments and trite opinions almost as annoying as Fatty Holmes pathetic attempts to sound manly by prattling on about Man United while he minces over the latest soap drivel.