Sign in to follow this  

Test the Nation IQ Test

Anyone watch this??? Sheffield was actually listed as a major city this time around (must be down to all the complaints both myself and other forum members made last year). The quality of the actual IQ test also seemed a bit "dumbed down" to me, e.g. one round related to identifying blurred out celebrities. Surely this kind of question is more general knowledge and not intelligence, and indeed would be more suited to a place next to the celeb goss column of "Hello" or "OK" than in any respectable IQ test?

I take it you did as embarassingly as i did then!

I got 100, which apparently is 'average' although i cant help feeling below average with a score like that. I must admit though i got the orders of the answers mixed up i thought the answers went a-d horizontally but it was vertically so i blame that and the fact i did see that film at the beginning cos i missed out the beginning bit due to it usually being a load of un necessary balls.

Excuses excuses.

Oh well its only a bit of fun. Im sure i wont end up alone and unable to get a job because of it.

Ok. Imagine my face getting redder as you read this.

I get really f*****g p***ed off with this rubbish. The IQ test they use is highly based on general knowledge, INCREDIBLY racially, sexually, class and culturally biased, leading to highly inaccurate results and misinformation. When they first did it back when, (2002?), they claimed that your IQ changes with age. It does not. SInce then I have not watched it, but talking with someone who did the recent one, he got 120 the first time, then 138, then 102.

Accurate? I ask you. Identifying celebrities as an indication of innate intelligence?! Give me a break, if you were from Timbuktu and couldn't guess them it would rate you as less intelligent.

IQ testing, even in its more reliable, official state has been largely dismissed by education authorities as being impossible to produce with bias towards particular groups, but this is just ridiculous. All it does is serve to make some people feel stupid, when they probably aren't (they just don't read Heat on a regular basis).

PS - :D before you tell me it';s just sour grapes, I got 148 on a real IQ test when I was 7. Never tried it through 'Test the Nation' though. :D

Yeah I only saw the bit with the answers at the end of the programme, so I didn't take the test. I wouldn't have been able to get the sports stars. I thought that was very unfair!

Originally posted by noseyrosie

PS - :D before you tell me it';s just sour grapes, I got 148 on a real IQ test when I was 7. Never tried it through 'Test the Nation' though. :D

:o bloodyhell!

IQ is bunk

I repeat for the benefit of the 'short quote rejection subroutine'

IQ is bunk for all the reasons listed above.

I believe we will be able to measure intelligence when we can define it - i.e - never.

I did find most of it fairly easy to be fair. No wonder the nation seems to be getting smarter, it's cos the tests are getting easier.

I got 125 last year if I remember rightly, and I got 131 this time. I think I might fill in my Mensa application form now...

Except Mensa won't be testing you on being able to spot celebs through blurred effects :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

I believe we will be able to measure intelligence when we can define it - i.e - never.

You know I'd really like to witness you and Alan Turing having a debate.

:cool:

Nomme

turing's point about the turing test was

a) how easily you could discern between human and machine

b) that the mind is inherently incomputable

He is in complete agreement with me :)

Also - think about the framing of the Turing test - is it like SF chat, type a sentence - or a paragraph - or do we get to see the individual 'keystrokes'; and more tellingly the deletions.

The success of a machine in passing the turing test depends on the obscurity of the medium, as much as a result of the preconceived notions of what constitutes a mind in the mind of the judges.

My 1st question to any contestant in a Turing test:

"How do you know you are not a computer?"

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

"How do you know you are not a computer?"

I don't.

Tell me about your mother.

:P

I cant understand whats the obsession with this Test The Nation rubbish, was ok for a one off show, just excuse for cheap TV time after time. So F***** what if certain groups have higher IQ's than others, who cares ? I like to watch TV for entertainment, I would'nt call having questions bawled at me, entertaining, especially after a hard day at work when you just want to chill out and wind down.