Neighbours who feed your obese cat.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to stop neighbours from feeding my overweight cat? Have told them six times.

I have the same problem with my neighbours. I had to ask them to stop feeding my cats as I give mine a special diet to stop them getting water infections . After constant trips to the vet one neighbour has stopped as I've told them it's making the cats ill. But the other one still feeds them . Really frustrating. If your not sure who's feeding them put a paper collar on and explain it's making your cat poorly.

I have the same problem with my neighbours. I had to ask them to stop feeding my cats as I give mine a special diet to stop them getting water infections . After constant trips to the vet one neighbour has stopped as I've told them it's making the cats ill. But the other one still feeds them . Really frustrating. If your not sure who's feeding them put a paper collar on and explain it's making your cat poorly.

We had similar with one of our cats, k/d for his kidneys, but we like the niebhours in question, so gave them some of the bag of k/d, so he'd nip round for his breakfast.

Basically I have kept our girl in , since she is so weighty , and now shes loosing weight . I asked around where we lived at the time , nobody said they were feeding her but her size says different .

It might be like a situation I had about 6 years ago. I was asked not to feed a neighbours cat.

But the problem was he came through the catflap and ate my cats' food.

His owner didn't believe me because they'd never had a catflap so he didn't know how to use one :loopy: hhmmm.

I would have quite liked him not to have eaten at my house.

On the more serious note-hope you can stop your cat being fed elsewhere/eating out it must be a worry.

He is too fat to clean his back so I now have to take him to the vet to get de-matted. Shall I give them the bill? I caught them doing it and went in their garden and picked the slices of ham up. I was furious and told them. Not talking to them now. Had to get some satiety food for him £27 on vets advice. This is supposed to make him feel full so that he wont eat as much of the rubbish they give him. I think their behaviour is very disrespectful. I also keep both my cats in after when he comes home from work. All a big hassle because of a pair of prats.

It's so frustrating. I know what Steve68 said is a solution to them not feeding them the wrong food, but ideally I would rather them not feed my cats at all. I mentioned the vets bills I was paying and all I got was oh dear don't they charge a fortune..

Some people only understand nastiness and unfortunately thats what you have to be. They bareface lied about it last time until I showed them the ham. Then they accused me of trespassing - as thought I am going to watch my cat stuff several slices of salty ham. They are not very pleasant types.

Thanks to all for the advice.

I would write them a letter which explains that the weight causes vet bills and they can keep the cat once they commit in writing to pay for all of these vet bills, plus his other medications and preventative healthcare like flea and worm treatments and vaccinations and cat litter etc.

You either have the cat and you take on all of the responsibilities, or you don't. Get them a copy of the associated costs and tell them that in the event that they are happy to take all of these costs on board, you will discuss transferring the cat into their ownership. Give them both barrels about the overall costs involved, then tell them that unless they're prepared to commit in writing to pay for all of these costs to keep him in the manner to which he is accustomed, you will consider them feeding him as an attempt to steal him and take appropriate legal action.

I got as far as a solicitors' letter with one person who was feeding one of mine, but thankfully they got the message that you only have permission to feed your own cats. Feeding other people's cats that you know isn't lost, that can be seen as procurement or an attempt to steal.

How can you a)know who's doing and b) stop them.

My neighbour leaves food out for hedgehogs,is is their fault if someones cat eats it ?

My own cat that has been dead for 7 years + now,lived outside so we had no otpion but to feed her outside. So again if she left anythign it was fair game for another neighbours cat.

They can also cover close 1k a night as well so which neighbour will you prosecute.

We have to keep our cat under 4kg as he had shattered pelvis last year and can't weight bear very well. Neighbours love him and despite having his best interests at heart we think they're feeding him to coax him into their home whilst we're at work, really upsetting.

Why don't you fence your garden in so they can't get off it. Can be done for 100 pound. Cheaper than vet bills and your cat is safe from neighbour's and roads