RIP Aretha Franklin

Seeing as how no one else has mentioned it, Aretha died on the same day that Elvis did, as well as Madonna's birthday!

Also Idi Amin; Bela Lugosi; Babe Ruth & Robert Bunsen, inventor of the Bunsen Burner.

Also Idi Amin; Bela Lugosi; Babe Ruth & Robert Bunsen, inventor of the Bunsen Burner.

As far as I know, none of them were singers.

As far as I know, none of them were singers.

Bela Lugosi the actor, was also known as a fine baritone

There was a tribute to her on the BBC last night showing old tv footage of her singing with Tom Jones. She was also a good piano player.

definitely the very best black female singer of her generation. A totally different planet to her contemporaries like Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick, Tina Turner, people like that her own age. Different league.

she didn't have any faults but if if I was to call one, it would be that her music was too religous, and not secular enough. I'd have liked to have seen her on a cutting jazz bill with Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington, and Ellah Fitzgerald where God, like Guns, are left at the door.

RIP Aretha

There was a tribute to her on the BBC last night showing old tv footage of her singing with Tom Jones. She was also a good piano player.
I enjoyed that tribute programme, and when it showed her singing Natural Woman at the Kennedy Centre three years ago she played the piano.

I was so moved by that performance I watched it again on YouTube. https://youtu.be/odgtEknIWo4

'Say a Little Prayer' for me Aretha - R.I.P.

Somewhere I read or was told that Aretha had an M.A. in Music - what a talented lady she was.