Sign in to follow this  

Sky and BBC1

BBC1 seems to have dissapeared from my Sky :confused: Only BBC1 Wales, BBC1 Scotland and BBC1 Northern Ireland are avaliable :( Anyone else had this problem?

(I don't have a subscription, I just use it for better reception and the free channels)

How's that work then? I thought you could only use SKY with a subscription. Do you mean the freeview box or can you actually get the free channels from SKY?

No if I meant freeview I would have said freeview ;)

Yes Sky works fine without subscription for the free viewing channels. The reason why we use it is for poor reception purposes as do 1000's of other people in the country. We are not in a freeview reception area, and analogue reception is poor.

As a bonus I get the BBC Digital Channels as well, apart from recently no BBC1 :confused:

Was just wondering if it was a Sky problem? i.e has anyone else noticed a problem?

That's interesting....

We want to ditch SKY and get freeview but we don't get the reception here. We also use SKY mainly because the reception is so poor. So don't you need a card then for it to work?

You need the card for some free 2 view channels I believe, but you don't need to be subscribed to SKY for the free channels such as the BBC channels.

However there are some disadvantages at the moment, as itv, channel 4 and 5 are not included in the free service. They was a big uproar about it november time when they cut the service. The reason being they moved satellites and couldn't be arsed to supply new cards to people.

But I am guessing as you are subscribed you will have the new viewing card.

This is the viewing card we have http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60837&item=3096293371&rd=1 which you won't recieve ITV, Channel 4 and 5. And now for some reason the regional BBC 1 channels, but I am hoping that is a glitch in there service, unless someone can give me another reason. If you have this type of card you should get all free view channels.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60837&item=5700310438&rd=1

Thanks for that Skatiechik. I'm going to go and try it later.

If everything looks good the SKY subscription is going out of the window.

I read something on the web about how your card enables the box to figure out what BBC1 channel you should get so there may be a problem there.

I kicked sky out a couple of months ago, because I was sick of them creeping the orices up without telling anyone, and I must admit that for the first couple of weeks i did miss it, but now it is no big thing....oh and I am 40 quid a month better off

Changing the subject slightly. Has anyone else noticed that when people talk about the BBC licence fee it always "£110" or whatever the going rate is. Whenever Sky is mentioned it's always "£36".

Sky's marketing has always been very clever in that it only ever mentions the monthly cost. If they advertised the yearly cost (approx £450-£500) you'd see a big drop in subscriptions, I'm sure.

The psychology of advertising in action.

As for me, 5 channels of cr*p are enough...

Well it works fine without viewing card so I've promptly cancelled it. You should have heard the guy on the phone trying to give me all sorts of deals to stay on. No chance.

Yeah you're right cols.... we had the 19.50 a month package which had started to creep up. Plus your 10 quid a month for telly licence it all starts getting pretty expensive.

Well pleased about being able to get a decent picture still for nowt....

Pleased to hear that Hippy. £19.50 does sound expensive.

Still doesn't help me with not being able to get BBC1 England Regional tho :confused: