Should There Be Legal Areas For Graffiti?

http://www.yorkshirejunkies.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7085&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

what are peoples views on this? Its in an abandoned factory of some kind, so its not vandalising any of your property and out of view! in my eyes art like this should be on view for all to see, although this one looks good in its surroundings. Can anyone say this is an eyesore?

http://www.yorkshirejunkies.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7085&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

what are peoples views on this? Its in an abandoned factory of some kind, so its not vandalising any of your property and out of view! in my eyes art like this should be on view for all to see, although this one looks good in its surroundings. Can anyone say this is an eyesore?

That was going to be a follow up suggestion - contact the folks who own such places, do the work, capture it on video / digital images....

I can imagine the insurers of such companies having heart attacks at the risks of folks running around their sites, but I reckon there has to be some scope in seeing if safer sites can be used in this way.

There is no legal graffiti. If someone paints a mural with the permision of the owner then this is a mural. If someone paints a mural on someone elses property without permision then this is at best vandalism and probably criminal damage.

There is no legal graffiti. If someone paints a mural with the permision of the owner then this is a mural. If someone paints a mural on someone elses property without permision then this is at best vandalism and probably criminal damage.

Yes, KenH, we have dictionaries.

I think we're using graffiti as a term that everyone understands here, rather than a term in it's precise definition.

i like to call it street art.

I think we should set up areas for all kinds of criminals. Perhaps the original poster will volunteer his house as the first legal burglary area?

There is an enormous difference between graffiti art & burglary, you are lucky & should be thankful there is people like me to point that out to you. :P

There is an enormous difference between graffiti art & burglary, you are lucky & should be thankful there is people like me to point that out to you. :P

There is very little difference when you are on the recieving end. There is certainly no difference between the scum who pain a wall without permission and theose that smash up a bus stop or put the windows through at a school. The terrible thing about this thread is that is is giving vandals the idea that they have some worth and so they will simply move onto the next level in their criminal career, unless they get killed by a train first. There is no more justification for these criminals talking about vandalism on this thread than there is having a thread where child molesters discuss their crimes.

There is very little difference when you are on the recieving end. There is certainly no difference between the scum who pain a wall without permission and theose that smash up a bus stop or put the windows through at a school. The terrible thing about this thread is that is is giving vandals the idea that they have some worth and so they will simply move onto the next level in their criminal career, unless they get killed by a train first. There is no more justification for these criminals talking about vandalism on this thread than there is having a thread where child molesters discuss their crimes.

KenH, I think there's a world of difference between daubs of paint on a wall and child molesting.

It's an insulting comment to make - the discussion here is should there be legal areas for Graffiti, not some sort of comparitive morality where you attempt to make graffiti as a big a crime as child abuse.

What's next? Parking tickets are equivalent to murder?

I don't like graffiti at all - I find it disagreeable and in the vast majority of cases incredibly ugly. I also regard it as a gateway offence but to put it in the same bracket as these truly serious crimes is quite a bizarre statement to make.

Calm down, am i to presume listening to rap music & looking at this art work from the links is not therapeutic for you?

Who is a criminal on this thread or implied that they have broken the law?

I started this thread as a way to find a compromise/solution to the problem to suit all & you also seem to be confusing child molesters with graffiti art now instead.

I remember making the comment somewhere else about teh Council shouldn't be expected to pay for people's hobbies - I believe that it was with regard to off-roading.

Graffiti and tagging is something I regard as, on the whole, unpleasant to look at, although there are exceptions. However - it's an albeit illegal hoby for some so my comments elsewhere apply.

If you want a legal graffiti wall, why not get a group of people together, find soem land, get some planning permission, build some walls, and off you go. Seriously?

I assume the problem is money - you might (or might now, who knows) find it difficult to raise the money needed, so why assume that soem mysterious 'them' is willing to cough up?

Most councils all over the country already have appropriate bland walls which would benefit from artwork so thier is no need to build any more walls. I have already said graffiti artists do not charge for their work or labour so the cost is minimal other than paperwork probaly to approve various sites.

Most councils all over the country already have appropriate bland walls which would benefit from artwork so thier is no need to build any more walls. I have already said graffiti artists do not charge for their work or labour so the cost is minimal other than paperwork probaly to approve various sites.

But they're OWNED and whether they would benefit is a value judgement that you, when you're not the owner, don't have the right to make.

Graffiti is unusual amongst art in that it is by it's nature public, but with the public having little to do with whether they want it or not.

Whether they charge or not is irrelevant - you don't own the 'canvasses' and you don't own the 'mind space' that you take by putting your artwork in pubic.

Your rights as artists are balanced by the rights of other people not to be subjected to your art; you cannot have one without the other.

How about the blank canvas that is the interior walls of prison.