Arctic Dreams.The quest for control.

The Arctic is rich in resources and the Russians have got their eyes on them. They have the world's largest icebreaker fleet-which effectively puts them in control of the Arctic Ocean.

This week, a House of Commons report, On Thin Ice: UK Defence in the Arctic :

"16.Since the end of the Cold War the Arctic States have been successful in maintaining the Arctic and High North as an area of low tension, and the region has been generally characterised by continuing close international co-operation amongst states which may have taken divergent positions on crises occurring elsewhere in the world. However, it is clear that the natural environment in the Arctic is going through a period of fundamental change, giving rise to issues which are bringing about a similar change in the security environment.

17.There is a risk that the perception of the Arctic as an area of exceptionalism where unique considerations of governance apply and where the application of general norms of international law are disputed could be exploited by nations who have shown an increasing disregard for the rules-based international order elsewhere. The Svalbard archipelago is an example of this, where the possibility of further adventurism by a resurgent and revisionist Russia cannot be discounted.

18.As the ‘globalisation’ of the region continues, an increasing number of states which are more geographically distant from the Arctic are declaring that they have an interest in Arctic affairs and wish to share in the benefits which might come from a more accessible Arctic. This is to be welcomed, as long as these interests continue to coincide. We should nonetheless be aware, in this new age of ‘great power competition’, that this state of affairs may not last indefinitely. The Government should work closely with allies to establish a common position on all aspects of international law in the Arctic to ensure that disputes active amongst states in the region are not aggravated or exploited".

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmdfence/388/38802.htm

We better get up there sharpish and stick a Union Jack

on the ocean bed of the Arctic Ocean.

The Norwegians will destroy it They harbour a misguided notion that the Arctic belongs to them. I had a drink with some of them in Tromso-and they told me,"the North Pole belongs to us".

Edited by petemcewan

Sulphur Dioxide is killing the population. North Siberia introducing Musk Ox and Siberian Tiger.

Edited by petemcewan

We better get up there sharpish and stick a Union Jack on the ocean bed of the Arctic Ocean.

IIRC Russia have already planted one there in 2007.

Dromedary,

I do believe they have.

The small boat in the link is like my current one. I'm prepping my Contessa 26 now for a journey to Jan Mayan and Svalbard-and 80 degrees North. I did it in 1995 on a bigger (12.5 m )boat called Nimrod. I'm going to go before the squabbles about territory prohibit an ordinary person like me, entering the High

Latitude waters. The Norwegians, in Longyearbyen Svalbard, are already demanding a large sum of money(a Bond) from a yacht owner if they tie up against the quay.The justification being they might have to rescue you. When I was in the Polar Research Institute in Longyearbyen; I met the SAR helicopter pilot. He was completely bladdered.

I haven't got the funds to pay the Bond-but I'm still going. So long as they can't impound my boat.I have no intention of having to be rescued.

I may take the route that the Hull trawlers sailed in the 60s.

I have to go to Isafjord and pay a visit to the site where the Hull trawler Ross Cleveland went down.

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/arctic-ice-sailing-across-the-north-pole-a-reality-by-2080-34454

One of the assumptions in the study is that diesel propulsion will still be in use in 2040.

https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?114336

Edited by petemcewan