Ripen at home bananas.. didn't.

What does the potassium break down in to?

It doesn't. It can't 'break down' as it's an element. Baron99 is wrong.

It doesn't. It can't 'break down' as it's an element. Baron99 is wrong.

I’m not sure that I’d like elemental potassium in my banana:) It might smart a bit when you eat it.

You are however, correct. The potassium ion content of a banana changes very little with ripeness.

Bananas are strange complex beasts! They need more care than a living plant!

Never known it before.... our large bunch greenish bananas never ripened..

had them over a week.. still green.. tried one out of curiosity..

Ugh ! horrible ! and rock hard... I love bananas.. but had to chuck em'

weird !! never know it before..:loopy:..

Hmmm... :huh:

... well it's obvious to me that the OP has become the unsuspecting victim of a scam where cheap knock-off bananas from some banana republic are being sold as genuine home-grown British bananas.

Your everyday British banana is yellow because it gets its colour from the large amounts of potassium it contains - and as we all know, potassium is very, very expensive.

These inferior vegetables have been genetically mutated by unscrupulous allotment holders, replacing the expensive potassium with much cheaper copper - hence the green colour. :suspect:

I think you bought Plantains, if you look at the Caribean traders in the Market you will see the Plantains. green and black, the reason they are black is not them being ripe, it's because they are boiled for a short while to make them palatable for cooking. The green ones are un-boiled and taste foul, seems you bought these.

Edited by lazarus

This thread is Bananas. :banana::banana::banana::hihi:

I wish that would happen to me, it seems like as soon as i put them in the fruit bowl they go brown, they come all the way from god knows where, and as soon as i get home they go brown :huh:

:hihi: That is true Deano.

I saw on tv where there were these storage areas for bananas prior to distribution around the uk. I seem to recall the temp was critical so being too cold as well as too warm can effect them. Probably a trade secret.:)

When bananas go to brown my wife freezes them and makes the most delicious banana bread when she is in the mood. I used to love banana sandwiches when I was a kid, especially when they were overripe, but can't eat them anymore as I keep getting potassium overload in my blood tests and that is quite dangerous apparently. Bananas didn't cause this condition, but they can worsen it, as can orange juice and potato skins for example. I cannot resist a bit of the banana bread however, despite the potassium stuff.

When bananas go to brown my wife freezes them and makes the most delicious banana bread when she is in the mood. I used to love banana sandwiches when I was a kid, especially when they were overripe, but can't eat them anymore as I keep getting potassium overload in my blood tests and that is quite dangerous apparently. Bananas didn't cause this condition, but they can worsen it, as can orange juice and potato skins for example. I cannot resist a bit of the banana bread however, despite the potassium stuff.

How does the banana bread turn out when she is not in the mood? ;)

How does the banana bread turn out when she is not in the mood? ;)

:hihi: She's always in the mood when I'm around :love:

Try carrots from Aldi .......... they are rotten before you get them home. Onions a day later. Total con.

The quality of the fruit and veg is ...... well ..... rotten.