Should wipers on, light on be taught as std and/or an offence not to  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should wipers on, light on be taught as std and/or an offence not to

• Taught and an offence
    • Not taught but an offence
    • Taught but not an offence
    • Not taught and not an offence
    • Make manufacturers make cars to do it automatically

That's not telling people NOT to use lights... it gives you the option but thats all...

It is a bit of a stretch, the Highway Code needs to be updated and reworded.

I would imagine wipers on in heavy rain is a given, surely there is no need to push that one. As for the lights on in heavy rain, depends on your speed I guess. Trundling through Town at 15/20 mph is much different to driving on a Motorway in heavy rain, where lights on are a must.

Angel1.

They can be hard to see, the big A-pillars on modern cars create abit of a blind spot that you could easily loose a cyclist in for a second or two.

The main issue is not wearing appropriate clothing for the conditions, saw a bloke the other evening cycling along in dark trousers wearing a black hoodie, no lights either.

It's the time of year that seems to catch people out, I've got my front light charging now and I charged my rears a few days ago. But I've seen other cyclists in the gloom with no lights in the last few weeks as the time approaches 1900 or 2000.

I drive a lot at night and have noticed an increasing tendency on smaller roads for the vehicle in front of me to 'dab' the brakes as soon as a car with LED headlights come around a corner.

I can only think that they are doing that as a panic reaction to being temporarily blinded and losing sight of the road ahead.

Not good.

I struggle with my vision at night on unlit roads. I find bright headlights on unlit roads overload my eyes, and I have to direct my eyes at the nearside kerb to try to minimise this, whilst also keeping the oncoming car in my vision.

I also experience halos around lights, I've found yellow tinted glasses help (I do already wear glasses for short sightedness and astigmatism, all day).