Meadowhall is a disaster!!

Guest Guest

One of the biggest blunders in Sheffield's history was the approval of Meadowhall being built. It's completely ripped the heart out of the city centre and it has done little to raise the image of our city. I would eagerly vote for it to be closed!

Guest Guest
Originally posted by "Anonymous"

One of the biggest blunders in Sheffield's history was the approval of Meadowhall being built. It's completely ripped the heart out of the city centre and it has done little to raise the image of our city. I would eagerly vote for it to be closed!

There is nothing at all wrong with Meadowhall, it saw a market that wasn't being served properly and provided what has turned out to be a very popular product with the people of Sheffield. This fact is born out by the number of people queing to get into it. The old Sheffield city centre has failed due to it's inhability to change with the times. People don't want to have to walk half a mile from the markets to the bottom of the moor. They don't want to have to pay for car parking and they don't want to have to walk down a windswept cold street being drenched by the rain.

All these things are what the modern shopper requires and Meadowhall meets those need admirably. The centre has achieved a reputation not only across the UK but also Europe as one of Europes premier shopping centres. Sheffield's Meadowhall Centre is the envy of many other towns in the uk and many more are following suite and building their own like the Trafford centre in Manchester. The centre has over the years won many awards for quality and excellence as can be seen by this list below:

Estates Times - Best Shopping Centre Award

Winner 1991, 1992, 1993

Mentor Shopping Centre Award for Retail Achievement

Winner 1993

Norwich Union Safe Car Park Award

Winner 1994

Daily Telegraph First Direct Customer Service Award

Winner 1994

Tommy's Campaign Parent Friendly Award

Winner 1994 & 1995

Jean-Louis Solal Award for Excellence in Customer Service

Winner 1996

BCSC Award for Trader/Sales Development

Winner 1996

Bali Landscaping Award for Internal Maintenance

Daily Express Ease of Access Award

Winner 1997

Daily Express Ease of Access Award

Winner 1998

British Council of Shopping Centres Established Shopping Centre Award for Excellence

Winner 1997

Bali Landscaping Award for Grounds Maintenance

Jean-Louis Solal Award for Tenant Motivation

Winner 1998

Sheffield Business Awards for Employee Development

Regional Investor in People

Arthur Andersen Global Distinction for Exceeding Customers' Expectations

Jean-Louis Solal Merit for Community Relations

Jean-Louis Solal Merit for Marketing Through the Internet

Ease of Access Award

nomination in the Special Award category - 1999

British Council of Shopping Centres Purple Apple Award for Best Single Piece of Creative Advertising

British Council of Shopping Centres Purple Apple Award for Best Single Event

Bali Award for Internal Landscaping

BCSC Purple Apple Award for Best Overall Marketing

BCSC Purple Apple Award for Best Use of New Media

Merit Award for Best Single Piece of Advertising of Creative Advertising

Internet Business Awards Best Website Design

Internet Business Awards Overall Winner

ICSC Jean-Louis Solal Award for Best Consumer Advertising Campaign

Meadowhall is the way modern people wish to do their shopping and long may it continue to provide that service. If there was a vote you would be out voted, without a doubt.

Guest Guest

Do you work for them by any chance?

Guest Guest
Originally posted by "Anonymous"

Do you work for them by any chance?

No I don't work for them, I just hate people slagging things off just cos they are successful and they don't like it.

You don't like it cos that's your personal preference, everybodys different.

But there are thousands of us who do like to shop there and you should respect our preference to shop there and not go round voting to have it closed.

Guest Guest

I think Meadowhall is a fantastic place. It's a world famous shopping centre and Sheffield should be proud to be a host to such a place.

Guest Guest

it's a good job you don't live here in Australia, because they are all like that, look on the brightside of it all, if you don't want to shop at Meadow Hall. do your shopping eleswhere, at least you have a choice unlike some of us.

Guest Guest

Just be thankful you dont work there! :wink:

Meadowhall is great. It has just about everything. It's a shame the city centre isn't better, but surely that would involve the council actually doing something. I find that highly unlikely

Talking about meadowhall, I found out this week that the cheapest and fastest way to get to meadowhall is by train. Previously I'd always gone by tram, but since the station is only over the road from Hallam Uni, I decided to go there randomly this week. It only cost a pound return with a young person's rail card (£1.50 without) and it took less than 5 minutes to get there.

Guest Guest

The main problem with Meadowhall is that it's location and existence isn't promoted enough. Here in Edmonton, Canada we have the West Edmonton Mall which is considered a viable tourist attraction and promoted extensively throughout the US and Canada. The last time I was in Sheffield to visit the family the only way I knew this place even existed was when I was invited by a friend to go take a look. I only eventually saw the place from the outside and never really got the incentive to go.

Maybe, tell people that it is there and put something there worth seeing..................... :P

I don't think Meadowhall can be called a 'disaster'. Yes it had an effect on the city centre, but the city centre is getting it's act together again. Meadowhall has played a big part in regenerating Sheffields run down East End. Remember all those factories that employed thousands of steel and engineering workers, well they all closed that was more of a disaster !

Guest Guest

Never having heard of Meadowhall until recently is it a place riddled with asylum seekers hanging around in gangs (such as they do in many major towns of the UK). Is it anywhere near homes?

My reason for asking is that I have enquired about buying property and was told the property is near Meadowhall. Also does Sheffield in general have a lot of asylum seekers because if it does I wouldn't be interested in moving there in the first place.