"Business As Usual" for Sheffield's Labour Council

New Labour council reverses Lib Dem cuts

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/new_labour_council_reverses_lib_dem_cuts_1_3378267

GRAVES Art Gallery is to have its old opening hours restored after Sheffield Council’s new Labour administration announced it would reverse budget cuts made by the Lib Dems.

As an art lover I think this is great news.

However...........

Details of the possible cost and extra funding required have not been revealed.

Is this a return to spending without worrying where the money will come from? With all eyes on the council, wouldn't it have been wise to explain how they will balance the figures before making a claim?

New Labour council reverses Lib Dem cuts

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/new_labour_council_reverses_lib_dem_cuts_1_3378267

As an art lover I think this is great news.

However...........

Is this a return to spending without worrying where the money will come from? With all eyes on the council, wouldn't it have been wise to explain how they will balance the figures before making a claim?

This is just what I expected them to do. They have to have a headline grabbing issue just to show they have the power to do what they want with council tax payers/tax payers money.And Simon Clement Jones really does know what he is talking about.

Edited by espadrille

I appreciate art, but what is going to have to go instead? In times such as this, unfortunately they are the first things that need to be cut, but i'd be interested in what has had to lose out on funding because of this.

Can anyone who voted for Labour councillors in the recent election in Sheffield let us know Labour's funding plans,because I don't recall seeing any details..

As someone who doesn't care about art, I hope they arent using money that was originally meant to help the needy or improve sheffield for everyone - not just art lovers.

Can anyone who voted for Labour councillors in the recent election in Sheffield let us know Labour's funding plans,because I don't recall seeing any details..

You would be better getting in touch with your local councillor. tbh

This is just what I expected them to do. They have to have a headline grabbing issue just to show they have the power to do what they want with council tax payers/tax payers money.And Simon Clement Jones really does know what he is talking about.

Hopefully, when the Labour budget is produced it will be for the full year rather than the 6 months the Lib Dem administration budgeted for.

Has the new labour council announced any more cut back reversals? I think this may just be be the start of things to come for Sheffield. Is this what all those who voted for them, expected?

Well I for one hope that any changes they make will be positive, progressive, economically competent and above all aimed at removing as much power and decision making as possible from politicians by handing it to citizens.

The previous Labour administration had serious control issues that materially affected Sheffield over decades. I hope that we don't see a return to business as usual.

The slate is clean, they have an opportunity. We must hope that it is used wisely rather than squandered and call them to account if they do abuse the trust that has been placed in them through unexpected circumstances.

There is no point in opening the graves any longer if they havent actually got art which appeals to a broad range of people.