Do you consider Sheffield boring...

Guest Guest

What has happened in Sheffield recently that could be considered interesting? I understand that most of the young talent still leaves the city to go south where the real jobs are. Plus, the city is certainly not as clean as it could be. Is there any money available for upgrades from the council? Any suggestions on what would make this city better?

I.M.Joe King

Darnall

:D

i do find sheffield quite boring actually.i find that if you are not into pubs as i am not there doesn't seem to be much to do.i also find there is not much choice as i am normally used to and to get a table at a good restaurant(slammers etc)i have to book weeks in advance.

Sheffield boring ??

Not sure what makes a place boring, I would have thought Sheffield has as much or as little to do as any other big city. All depends what your interests and your budget are. Sport, theatre, music, restaurants, cinema, shopping, rock climbing, going to the country side ?

What has Sheffield not got ?

Guest Guest

I've lived in Birmingham, Portsmouth and Sheffield.

All have plenty of things to do. If going to the pub is the only thing you can think of, and something you don't like, then it's your imagination that is lacking, not Sheffield.

Guest Guest

I don't like going to pubs but I do like going to jazz cafes, cocktail bars and good coffee houses. I also like going to art galleries, interesting independant restaurants and at weekends, somewhere to eat breakfast at any time of the day and read the papers. Sheffield it has to be said is woefully lacking in all of these 'big city' attributes.

Sheffield does have alot to do, if you're in the right mood, although personally the fact that it's so close to the Peak District is what keeps me entertained most weekends. If you're into sports I think theres quite alot here. Mainly we have alot of park land and trees, which is good, if you like parks, I think most other things you have to pay for and if it rains, well you can only go round the Mappin a few times before you know every beetle in every draw off by heart.

A bad point is that all the bars are the same now too and the clubs don't offer the wealth of choice as can be found in cities like Manchester and Bristol which have a lot of smaller clubs affering loads of different music choices. I have edited this bit now... you know we do OK for late entertainment really.

I think I'd rather live here than any other English city, it's friendly, mostly, it's pretty safe and it's got character. The ski slopes a good laugh and there's not many other places with one as big as ours! You can climb and cycle, or eat and drink and we've got more cinema seats per head than any where else. Skaters have got a pretty good choice of places to go and we've got some good sports centers too.

I reckon Sheffield'll improve alot in the next few years and I don't think I'll get that bored waiting to see what happens.

An emphatic NO,

there is much entertainment here now, pubs clubs, la chambre, cinemas.night schools, parks, sheffields lake district, theatres, massage parlours, colleges,universitys, hotels, restaurants, peace gardens, winter gardens librarys, supertram,meadowhall,don valley stadium, city centre shopping, parking is relatively easy, excellent police service, excellent council, free parking for disabled, city centre regeneration, and much more that I cannot think of the moment. Oh, and surrounded by beautifull derbyshire. Still think it is boring? :D

Guest Guest

......La Chambre......massage parlours........??

hmm...............

An emphatic No, it's not boring.

I have to say that whatever you wish to do (money permitting) you can do it in or nearby Sheffield.

Restuarants - Good selection including some very good small independent restaurants, Coffee bars - proliferation on Ecclesall Road (Nonna's etc), Cinemas - So many including the very comfortable Showroom,

walking/Climbing etc. - So much countryside to choose from, Stately Homes etc., Sports - 2 football clubs, athletics stadium, go karting, 5 a side pitches, hockey pitches, tennis centre, indoor cricket, etc....., Book reading clubs, Other meeting clubs, 2 commercial and many other small independent theatres, Art galleries, Public parks, Gigs going on throughout the city covering so many music types..., comedy clubs...

As well as a good range of pubs and clubs.

If you've got a broad mind and wish to try something new then get out there and just join in. Don't have a narrow mind and winge - do something.

Guest Guest

The one thing that would improve Sheffield is a city centre with a distinctive personality and a wider range of cultural events. Somehow you go into the city and feel 'there's nothing here'. It's not entirely true - there are decent places to go - but Sheffield is a city in sack cloth, eyes cast down as Leeds laughs in its face. Sheffield needs attitude, it needs to build on its strengths, it needs to sell itself.

Guest Guest

I've lived in several different places and actually chose to come to Sheffield. Sometimes I wonder why when I see the weather and the job situation is dire, talent moving out of Sheffield is not the problem, the problem is there are no jobs!

I'm quite happy to stay here as a secretary, rather waste of my degree though, and there are many people who feel the same.

Good Council.....?

Are you mental? The worst council I have ever seen, and I've worked in it!

I like the night life, I am always remembering places that I haven't been in ages although the resturants are a pain.

In random concusion, thumbs up.... I'm not moving to Reading just yet. :shock: