Carillion another gov bail out?

I can't believe how such a big company with so many government projects can be in so much trouble. Wonder about the lifestyle of their bosses?

Their bosses don't own the company, it's listed, so the management are appointed by the board, who are in position at the control of shareholders.

The problem with these companies is that they sub-contract the majority of the work out, and then make it as difficult as possible for the subbies to do the job they are supposed to.

permits for this, permits for that, H&S , Inductions which take a full day.

Then it's all but impossible to find the person who is supposed to supply the correct permits on a daily basis.

Then they wonder why the work doesn't get completed on time and/or to budget.

Working for these large concerns is an absolute nightmare before you even get your toolbox onto the site!

I reckon there's a lot more to this than people know. Any company that employs over 30,000 workers, yet no one's heard of, obviously likes operating below the radar for some reason.

I gather a lot of public money is involved, no doubt including some very substantial 'because I'm worth it' CEO pay.

This is just one possible example.

http://www.leftfutures.org/2012/12/ten-years-of-carillion-putting-profits-before-patients-at-pfi-hospital/

I reckon there's a lot more to this than people know. Any company that employs over 30,000 workers, yet no one's heard of, obviously likes operating below the radar for some reason.

I gather a lot of public money is involved, no doubt including some very substantial 'because I'm worth it' CEO pay.

http://www.leftfutures.org/2012/12/ten-years-of-carillion-putting-profits-before-patients-at-pfi-hospital/

You’ve heard of Tarmac, haven’t you?

You’ve heard of Tarmac, haven’t you?

Yes. THey were 'demerged' from Tarmac in 1999 and a new company set up. It has it's finger in hundreds of diverse operations

Kieth Cochcrane is the new CEO and one Philip Green is the company chairman. Its set up is so complex it will be nigh on impossible to unravel.

If that doesn't set alarm bells ringing, nothing will....

Edited by Anna B

Are you saying no one has heard of carillion or am I reading it wrong. Stand by the side of any main road and one of their vans will pass you within half an hour!

Be careful with projecting your own ignorance onto everyone else, I'd certainly heard of them.

They should not be bailed out by us - what incentive would there be to run a company properly if they can rely on taxpayers money to keep them afloat? It was bad enough with the banks.