Car Insurance Question Following Accident

On 23rd December I was stood in a queue of traffic at a red light when a lady reversed off her drive and straight into the side of my car. She’s decided she can’t afford to pay for the repairs herself so it’s going through her insurance. Her insurance company have told me she’s taken full responsibility, however will the claim effect the cost of my policy next year even though I wasn’t at fault???

There are so many insurance company horror stories I’m not sure what to believe as I’ve never been involved in an accident in the 15 years I’ve been driving.

It shouldn’t do, however insurance companies are a law unto themselves.

A couple of years ago I phoned for a new quote on a car and was to.d that because I had a no fault accident the previous year there would be a surcharge of £35 even though it was not my fault!

I think the only definitive answer would be from your insurance company.

Thank you for that, I shall prepare myself for something like that when I renew in March then. The other thing is I have a multicar policy so I’m hoping it won’t effect both cars.

It seems so wrong to be penalised for something you weren’t at fault for.

Good luck with it,I have 3 policies and have had to pay an extra £100 ish on them for a non fault that happened on 15th may.The reason given was the claim isn't finalised until they collect from the third parties insurers.The extra money or part of it can be refunded when the claim is settled.So I got in touch with the ombudsman and they said there is no time limit on claims,so in fact its cost me another £300+.

[...] however will the claim effect the cost of my policy next year even though I wasn’t at fault???

There are so many insurance company horror stories I’m not sure what to believe as I’ve never been involved in an accident in the 15 years I’ve been driving.

Thank you for that, I shall prepare myself for something like that when I renew in March then. The other thing is I have a multicar policy so I’m hoping it won’t effect both cars.

It seems so wrong to be penalised for something you weren’t at fault for.

It affected mine.

It will definitely 'affect' it, because when it says 'any claims of convictions over the last 5 years' you now have to say yes.

Whether it will affect the price though is a different matter. How will you know? The price each year is never the same, and generally higher.

The best way to try this, is set up 2 accounts on email, and try both set ups on a comparison website (identical car/driver info - but don't put the car reg in, just manually put in the same car) and on one put the claim, and one without the claim. See what happens :)

It affected mine.

It will definitely 'affect' it, because when it says 'any claims of convictions over the last 5 years' you now have to say yes.

Whether it will affect the price though is a different matter. How will you know? The price each year is never the same, and generally higher.

The best way to try this, is set up 2 accounts on email, and try both set ups on a comparison website (identical car/driver info - but don't put the car reg in, just manually put in the same car) and on one put the claim, and one without the claim. See what happens :)

Where it asks about any claims or convictions doesn’t it mean claims I’ve made against my policies? In this circumstance she has made the claim against her own policy to repair both my car and hers.

Where it asks about any claims or convictions doesn’t it mean claims I’ve made against my policies? In this circumstance she has made the claim against her own policy to repair both my car and hers.

No, its regardless of fault. You even have to declare windscreen claims.

It just means claims on the whole, so no.

To be fair though, it's not like the old days with paper trails, you can say yes or no, and they will be looking things up on a database and find out anyway.

When I got my last insurance (last but one), I did it in person, and when she popped in the back to photocopy my license, I looked at some papers on her desk, and one was a list of the 4 or 5 claims for or against me, in the last years (I couldn't see dates though)

also, if you do try this, please post the answer. I'd be interested to see the result! It could be newsworthy. I've never tried it.