Are guarantees being eroded.

I've been doing some window shopping for a new washing machine and TV, the cost of these vary from £500.00 to £800.00 (if surfing the net can be called window shopping) the £800.00 washer/dryer I had in mind came with 12 Months Guarantee, and the 20/30 tvs I looked at were the same with only a 12 Month Guarantee. Would you risk £800.00 for an item that only has a short guarantee?

Four months ago I bought a new cooker which came with a 5 year guarantee.

I believe the short guarantees are deliberate so as to force you into buying the shops own insurance at £5.00 - £10,00 per month, Which to my mind is wrong. but to me it says the manufactures don't trust their products to last longer. I will not be buying these items unless I can get at least 3 years guarantee.

Don't forget your legal rights under The Sale of Goods Act.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

While we're still in it, EU consumer law applies: Free of charge, 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) for all goods

Under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee at no cost, regardless of whether you bought your goods online, in a shop or by mail order.

This 2-year guarantee is your minimum right. National rules in your country may give you extra protection: however, any deviation from EU rules must always be in the consumer's best interest.

If goods you bought anywhere in the EU turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace them free of charge or give you a price reduction or a full refund.

As a general rule, you will only be able to ask for a partial or full refund when it is not possible to repair or replace the goods

Even when you get a guarantee watch out, there are many little exclusions that void the guarantee. Better read that long tiny small print to know what's manufacturer responsibility and what is your responsibilities.

Don't forget your legal rights under The Sale of Goods Act.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

While we're still in it, EU consumer law applies: Free of charge, 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) for all goods

Under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee at no cost, regardless of whether you bought your goods online, in a shop or by mail order.

This 2-year guarantee is your minimum right. National rules in your country may give you extra protection: however, any deviation from EU rules must always be in the consumer's best interest.

If goods you bought anywhere in the EU turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace them free of charge or give you a price reduction or a full refund.

As a general rule, you will only be able to ask for a partial or full refund when it is not possible to repair or replace the goods

You are both incorrect.

The Sale of Goods Act has been replaced by the Consumer Rights Act.

The whole 2-year EU guarantee/warranty is a myth. You have rights under the Consumer Rights Act. It is not as simple as saying it is faulty please refund. During the first 6 months the burden of proof lays with the retailer. After 6 months the onus is on the purchaser to prove the product did not conform to contract at the time of sale. If you cannot prove it the retailer doesn’t have to do anything. However, most products come with a 12-month warranty which covers you for repairs – this is separate from the Consumer Rights Act though, it is in addition to your rights.

If a retailer offers a refund they can reduce the refund to take in to account usage. So even if you can prove an inherent fault in a say a 2-year-old washer the retailer can deduct 2 years use from the refund they give you.

You can make a claim, in England, for up to 6 years after purchase. However, as I said you have to prove the product didn't conform to contract. There is no automatic right within 2 years (EU myth timescale) or within 5 years to receive a repair, replacement or refund.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/pdfs/ukpga_20150015_en.pdf

Edited by Love2print

Washing machines are cleverly engineered to break after approx three to four years so you have to keep buying new ones if you don't know how to fix them.

Richer sounds offer Tv's with a 6 year warranty. Currys offer Samsung tvs with a 5 year warranty as standard.

Washing machines are cleverly engineered to break after approx three to four years so you have to keep buying new ones if you don't know how to fix them.

That's so not true is it ,mine is still going strong after 7 years

Why haven't mine failed in 3 or 4 years? My one gave up the ghost after 8 trouble free years.

Or you could consider buying from John Lewis who, I understand, have a 2 year warranty on their goods.

I just use Costco for all major electrical items because their after sales care is the best I have seen.

I just use Costco for all major electrical items because their after sales care is the best I have seen.

I also second Costco, All TVs come with 5 year warranty as do most large electrical items, I bought a LG TV from there about 4 years ago, after 3 years a slight fault appeared on the display, I called their concierge number and they sent someone out, a couple of weeks later they sent me a letter telling me that they wouldn't be repairing the TV and told me to return it along with the letter to Costco for a refund of the full purchase price (£2200), I did this and bought a better TV for £1400. I also have a Samsung Fridge, Freezer and washing machine all with the same warranty.