Mcfee Security firm

Bought my laptop with Acer who use Mcfee they want me to renew my subscription but they can give my details to other companies so I've not agreed, I can't seem to contact them to check this, is there another security company which doesn't do this?

cressida - I don't, and never will, use McAfee products, so have never read their T&Cs, but there should be an opt-out somewhere to allow you to say no to them doing what you say.

If you are running Windows10, the free and already installed Windows Defender is all most sensible home users need.

I would uninstall McAfee (using the uninstall tool from their website), and then make sure WD is enabled. Problem solved!

Yes it is Windows 10

Thank you both very much for your helpful advice, brilliant:D

Sophos do a free AV for home users. Up to 10 devices.

Covers both Mac and PC

Thanks, there are some very helpful people on SF:thumbsup:

Personally ive used Avast anti virus, Malwarebytes anti malware and Comodo firewall for years.

personally i wouldnt touch Mcafee with a barge pole

Mel, you are more knowledgeable than myself about the subject;)

Similar to melthebell.

I use Avast free, Malwarebytes free and Zone Alarm free firewall.

Similar to melthebell.

I use Avast free, Malwarebytes free and Zone Alarm free firewall.

Thank you :) :) :)

As far as Windows 10 is concerned I would also recommend the built in Windows Defender.

Whilst it AV Suites may also include anti Malware they use different engines and won't try to turn the other one-off - AV's use the same engine, but BackTrack 4 info videos (sadly no longer available, showed how it was possible to circumvent AV and the video was called 'I p*ss on your AV'. I would also install Malwarebytes (Free) and SUPER-Anti-Spyware (Free) - get them both from https://ninite.com - that way you are guaranteed you won't click on the wrong advertising download link. ;)