Feet and inches

now we are leaving the dreaded eu can we now go back to imperial ? can i pop down to wickes and buy a 8x4 sheet of wood instead of 2400x1200 .when ive loaded said piece of wood on my pickup can i fill up with gallons of diesel in stead of litres. on my way home can i nip in pub for a quick half instead of 330ml. calling into the shop can i get a quarter of sweets for the kids instead of 100mg . bring back the good old days :hihi:

Edited by ricgem2002
wrong word

lets go the whole hog and go back to pre-decimal currency

now we are leaving the dreaded eu can we now go back to metric ? can i pop down to wickes and buy a 8x4 sheet of wood instead of 2400x1200 .when ive loaded said piece of wood on my pickup can i fill up with gallons of diesel in stead of litres. on my way home can i nip in pub for a quick half instead of 330ml. calling into the shop can i get a quarter of sweets for the kids instead of 100mg . bring back the good old days :hihi:

Your first sentence seems a bit confused. ;)

Besides that, UK governments started trying to switch to the metric system in the 19th century - so I don't get your hopes up about convincing them to change back to imperial.

now we are leaving the dreaded eu can we now go back to metric ? can i pop down to wickes and buy a 8x4 sheet of wood instead of 2400x1200 .when ive loaded said piece of wood on my pickup can i fill up with gallons of diesel in stead of litres. on my way home can i nip in pub for a quick half instead of 330ml. calling into the shop can i get a quarter of sweets for the kids instead of 100mg . bring back the good old days :hihi:

Let's hope not.

I put it in the same box as blue passports. A load of meaninglessness nonsense.

Why would you adopt a different system of weights and measures to the majority of countries you wish to trade with?

Give me logical reason. You can't use the phrase 'good old days'.

Let's hope not.

I put it in the same box as blue passports. A load of meaninglessness nonsense.

Why would you adopt a different system of weights and measures to the majority of countries you wish to trade with?

Give me logical reason. You can't use the phrase 'good old days'.

America still uses imperial. Not that I want to go back to it. IMO Metric is far better. But you're right, there is still a lot of confusion out there, among those born before 1969....

I still can't get my head round grams and Kilograms, (is that partly why there's an obesity crisis; no one really knows how much they weigh anymore?) And I think buying petrol in litres is a con so you don't really notice petrol price increases so much.

I still can't get my head round grams and Kilograms, (is that partly why there's an obesity crisis; no one really knows how much they weigh anymore?)

The fact that the obesity crisis isn't predominantly amongst those over about 50 would seem to indicate not.

And I think buying petrol in litres is a con so you don't really notice petrol price increases so much.

That was first introduced at the request of retailers because older forecourt machines couldn't cope with prices greater than £1.99 per gallon.

I still work in feet inches and yards , pounds and ounces and stones. Hate all this metric rubbish .

America still uses imperial. Not that I want to go back to it. IMO Metric is far better. But you're right, there is still a lot of confusion out there, among those born before 1969....

I still can't get my head round grams and Kilograms, (is that partly why there's an obesity crisis; no one really knows how much they weigh anymore?) And I think buying petrol in litres is a con so you don't really notice petrol price increases so much.

Not sure I agree with you about kilograms as a cause of obesity.

The use of imperial measures in the USA causes some occasional problems for those of us working in engineering. Usually not as serious as the loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter.....

I still work in feet inches and yards , pounds and ounces and stones. Hate all this metric rubbish .

Throwback in more ways than one...

I'm hoping that I will be able to buy a powerful two speed Henry hoover when we're out.

FGS American recipes work in cups. what a pain that is!