Kitchen/dinning room wall removal - RSJ ?

I'm considering having the kitchen/dinning room wall removed. It should be very straight forward as the wall above is stud/plasterboard so not much weight and no electrics to move. Can anyone share experience of doing this type of work themselves? ... Including building control approval.

I'm wondering...

1) just pay a builder to sort it

-need to find someone reliable that can start asap (Chapletown area)

-how much it might cost

...or...

2) do as much (hopefully all) of the work myself

-I've got acro props and done plastering before

-how to specify RSJ and pad stones?

-where to buy RSJ and pad stones?

-how to comply with fire regs (is it just x2 plasterboard around RSJ and alarms?)

-any builders just offer advice only service?

-i think building control cost is £180 for application, x2 site visit, completion certificate

-how much detail is required for building control application form?

-any things else to consider?

I'm considering having the kitchen/dinning room wall removed. It should be very straight forward as the wall above is stud/plasterboard so not much weight and no electrics to move. Can anyone share experience of doing this type of work themselves? ... Including building control approval.

I'm wondering...

1) just pay a builder to sort it

-need to find someone reliable that can start asap (Chapletown area)

-how much it might cost

...or...

2) do as much (hopefully all) of the work myself

-I've got acro props and done plastering before

-how to specify RSJ and pad stones?

-where to buy RSJ and pad stones?

-how to comply with fire regs (is it just x2 plasterboard around RSJ and alarms?)

-any builders just offer advice only service?

-i think building control cost is £180 for application, x2 site visit, completion certificate

-how much detail is required for building control application form?

-any things else to consider?

The wall you are considering removing will be providing support to the floor joists resting upon it, regardless of whatever is sat on the floor above.

You could get somebody to do a drawing and calc for you showing the beam size, padstones required, any fireproofing etc, for submitting to building control.

I've done exactly that myself, and then did the work myself. All was good. It wasn't so expensive to get the drawing and calc done. A few hundred quid as I recall. They will do the application for you also if you want.

Thanks Bargepole23. That's reassuring.

Would it be a surveyor or a structural engineer to do the drawings or would a builder generally offer just that service too?

Thanks Bargepole23. That's reassuring.

Would it be a surveyor or a structural engineer to do the drawings or would a builder generally offer just that service too?

Think I used these....it was while ago

http://www.plansforextensions.com

I am having a chimney removed and was advised to have an engineers report costing £240, drawings was passed to the builder via myself, when work is in progress and completed it will have to be passed off with building regs, I have been told the engineers report makes it easier and correct for regs passing off and also if we come to resale all the paperwork and boxes are ticked.

Have read if you dont have correct paperwork it can bite you if you come to resale.