Supply teaching drought !

Hi , I just wondered if anybody else is experiencing a supply drought. Supposedly there is a crisis in teaching retention. I worked in primary schools so I thought there would be loads of work. I have had a total of a couple of days and just wondered is it only me ?! I know supply is poor at this time of the year but I am scrapping the dregs from the bottom of the barrel. Anyone experiencing this ? If you are dining at the table of milk and honey please share. I would love a little taste....

The sad truth is that with funding as it is, many schools cannot afford supply staff to cover sickness and make do with TA's and other support staff. That's the issue in the school where I work anyway.

Hi , I just wondered if anybody else is experiencing a supply drought. Supposedly there is a crisis in teaching retention. I worked in primary schools so I thought there would be loads of work. I have had a total of a couple of days and just wondered is it only me ?! I know supply is poor at this time of the year but I am scrapping the dregs from the bottom of the barrel. Anyone experiencing this ? If you are dining at the table of milk and honey please share. I would love a little taste....

I suspect it is because there is very little shortage of teachers in primary education compared to secondary (particularly in the subjects of Mathematics and Physics); if you have experience in this sector and/or subjects, I'd be looking at the secondary sector.

Hope it works out for you.

---------- Post added 16-10-2017 at 09:06 ----------

The sad truth is that with funding as it is, many schools cannot afford supply staff to cover sickness and make do with TA's and other support staff. That's the issue in the school where I work anyway.

I am a Trustee/Director of Brigantia Learning Trust. If it is one of our schools, would you be kind enough to PM me with the details please? The Trust is well funded so I would be very concerned if we have TAs managing the classrooms.

I am a Trustee/Director of Brigantia Learning Trust. If it is one of our schools, would you be kind enough to PM me with the details please? The Trust is well funded so I would be very concerned if we have TAs managing the classrooms.

I'm pleased to read this response. :)

Do you mind if I ask you;, 'Who is timetabled to supervise classes whilst teachers have their PPA time?' I say 'supervise' rather than 'teach', as, from experience with my own children, they are supervised on a regular timetabled weekly basis for half a day a week by a TA. I find this unacceptable. I share your concern as a parent of 'TAs managing classrooms'.

By the way, my children do not attend a school under the care of the Brigantia Learning Trust.

I expect my children to be taught by a qualified teacher whilst they are at school, not by someone unqualified 'on the cheap'.

There are a limited number of schools and they may use just one or two agencies.

There are too many agencies which means you need to sign up for quite a few.

This in turn means you have to let down an agency(ies) when if you get another placement. This makes you "less reliable" in their eyes.

Target schools you want to supply at.

Find out which agency they use.

Find out what a school says about you in their feedback to the agency.

Meet the head or supply supervisor and tell them what you do well.

Be organised. Sunday best.

Currently the agencies have a bubble of very experienced teachers who are in their late fifties and early sixties. This group will get much smaller in the future.

There is usually more cover needed in the Spring and Summer, Autumn term is lousy, the teachers are as fit as they can be, after 6 weeks off. By February, their lives could have changed completely, illness, pregnancy, secondments, promotions etc. I found it was worth avoiding the agencies if possible, they charge a commission to schools. Try to go direct, if you can, the school should also pay into TPS. One booking leads to another, in my experience, and sometimes you are stood in front of the "cover" person when she/he is thinking about their next opening. One friend of mine came in on supply when I had my heart attack, she is an excellent teacher and is still there 7 years later.

Generally in secondary schools, they have a few full-time cover supervisors, generally internally trained, aware of that school's ethos, hierarchy, management procedures, daily routines and troublemakers. These can be booked and often become teachers immediately after these posts. No idea what primary do.

I retired early a couple of years ago, now I just get invigilation and exam marking, BUT I am not looking for supply, teaching was too stressful. As far as invigilation goes, you can get long days during mock season, as schools try to get all the mock Y12 or Y13 into one week. Invigilation does not pay well, usually minimum wage, occasionally a little above.