Best Christmas markets you've been to? (local-ish)

I know it's only October but I'm thinking of taking my Mum to a Christmas market for a nice day out in December as it will be her first Christmas since my step-dad died earlier this year. Ideally I'm after a market that's busy and traditional, with music, food and drink stalls etc.

Ideally we'll be going on the train so we can have a few mulled wines so distance to transport services is quite important. I've heard Lincoln's is supposed to be quite good?

Any suggestions?

Lincoln and Manchester are both very good.

As already stated Lincoln is fab - I find it too claustrophobic as you're herded along. I love the Manchester one. We did Birmingham last year which was supposed to be one of the biggest but it was a let down down compared to the other two.

I have been going to Nottingham's Christmas market for quite a few years, but think that these days, they are all very similar, but Nottingham isn't the herded along sort that Lincoln is. It is an excuse for my daughter and I to meet up and pig out on crepes and mulled wine! City centre is only a short walk from the station.

The Manchester one is great but that also gets a bit crowded.

The Manchester one is huge, covering lots of streets and different squares. It's exhausting trying to get round it all but luckily there are excellent pubs that provide reviving tonics.

Thanks guys.

I think the Manchester one is going to be a bit too big for my Mum and Lincoln may be too busy....so it looks like either Nottingham or York might do the trick :)

The one that springs to mind is the Christmas market in Maldon, Essex. But of course that isn't local in the slightest. :(

Not a Christmas market but the Christmas section at Wentworth garden centre is open and its got lots of nice baubles ect..

Lincoln market is supposed to be very good.