Kaspersky parental control

Hi, I've just installed kaspersky total internet security on my laptop and it's driving me crackers. I cannot access certain websites as parental control keeps aking for a password. Trouble is I cannot remember enabling parental cntrol or setting a password. Also when I try to access kaspersky support the flaminn parental control kicks in and asks for the password which I aint got. Any help would begreatly appreciated.

Al

Did you not read the government advice about Kaspersky?

There are lots of other AVs out there:

https://www.ft.com/content/37b7b91c-c79e-11e7-ab18-7a9fb7d6163e

Oh, and when I did run Kaspersky, the word became a swear word in our house, particularly when the financial support cuts in and takes you to a sandboxed window to complete the payment (except the website you were trying to pay doesn't recognise that you are the same customer, so it loses all of your cart details and you just get more and frustrated).

I was financially a lot better off than before I had it on my computer, but that's mostly because I was so frustrated with trying to pay for ANYTHING that I effectively gave up. I still needed things, I never got them.

I took the Kaspersky off and life became so much less stressful. What's the point in security software that is so invasive that you turn it off in order to actually do anything?

Agree that Kaspersky shouldn't be used. I had it free from Barclays for a few years but recently they advised against it (in light of it being rather risky for the user shall we say).

Afterall, it *is* Russian.

Medusa - the link gives no information so I cannot reference it. AFAIK there is no proof that Kaspersky is unsafe. Eugene Kaspersky has vehemently denied any wrongdoing and has recently filed a lawsuit - link.

The articles that I read only contained information pertinent to government or other ‘sensitive’ institutions. Indeed, Barclays have stressed that there is no need for home users to stop using the software - link.

All security products have their positives and negatives. Kaspersky scores consistently high marks in various tests so I take that to be the important factor since that is why we use security software in the first place. I do not think it is sensible to warn people off using such a good and useful product when one has very limited information or knowledge about the issue.

As for the OP's problem, he should head off over the the Kaspersky English Users Forum where he will receive relevant advice. Alternatively, he could uninstall the suite using the Kaspersky removal tool then reinstall, being very careful not to activate parental control during the set up procedure.

I agree with previous comments re intrusiveness of the Internet security suite and this is one of the reasons why I now use the antivirus. However, the choice depends on computer usage.

Edited by Jomie

I have done what Jomie reccomended and uninstalled Kaspersky and then reinstalled it. This has now cured the problem, many thanks to Jomie and to everyone else who posted.

Al

Thank you for coming back to your thread. I am glad that you have the problem sorted now. Like any other security suite, Kaspersky does take some getting used to. The forum is useful and worth following if you want to know more and improve your knowledge of the software.

Medusa and TyneSoft - read the link to the BBC article if you require information about this issue. Barclays did not tell their customers to stop using this product and it is not considered ‘risky’. Of note:

But officials stressed they were not saying members of the public or companies should stop using Kaspersky products, which are used by about 400 million people globally.

The original warning came from the National UK Cyber Security Centre who said the software ‘could be exploited by the Kremlin’, not that it had or that they have proof of this. It could apply to any software that is made in other countries, including the USA!

Eugene Kaspersky has a lot at stake and has said that he would move his business out of the USSR if there was any danger of interception.