Long commutes to work.

Do you travel a long way to work, or do work with someone who does?

I know a girl in Birley who works in Nottingham city centre.

I also know a girl in Birley who travels to Nottingham, I wonder if it's the same girl??

A long(er) commute is not necessarily worse, I'd say it's a function of the distance and time more than anything else, and then whether it's at rush hour or not.

I used to live (and commute) in Paris, Brussels and London, but the worst commute I've ever had -by far- was only about 6 miles or so, from South Dublin (D16) to central Dublin (near St Stephen's Green). It's the one commute that eventually 'forced' me onto 2 wheels: on 4 wheels, it was an hour (yes, that's 6 mph average). Each way. That was soul destroying.

My commute is now 16 miles (Worksop-M'hall, give or take) and, comparatively, it's mostly bliss: bit of M1, bit of A57, bit of queeing here and there every now and then, but mostly moving. I'll have to see how IKEA changes that, though.

Edited by L00b

I agree that distance isn't the key, it's duration. When I talk about how long a commute is I'm strictly considering the time, if you can travel 100 miles in 30 minutes, that's better than 10 miles in an hour.

I read before that changing your commute is the simplest/easiest measure anyone can take to improve their quality of life.

The distance matters more for the expense be it train or car. I used to spend hours and £1000s commuting to Manchester. Now I cycle for 20 min and spend that money on other things.

True, longer distance = higher cost. But longer time has the biggest impact on life quality.

This might have been the article I was remembering

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/feb/12/how-does-commuting-affect-wellbeing

---------- Post added 19-08-2017 at 12:32 ----------

It found that each additional minute of commuting time made you feel slightly worse up to a certain point. However, strangely, once a commute hit three hours then the negative effects dropped off.

I think 20 mins is a good distance though. Clear separation of home and work and a bit of free exercise.

Although the study disagrees with me.

Cycling for more than 30 minutes (cycling less than 30 minutes was associated with lower happiness and higher anxiety)

Cycling a bit further is apparently better!

ITV's calendar or similar did this a few years ago, and the longest commute they found (in Yorks and Humberside anyway) was a chap in Hull who commuted daily to his office in London. He used the train, not sure where he boarded though.

I can get to work in about 8 minutes, although getting back on the same route can sometimes take about 40, they are the longest commute times I have ever done.

A long(er) commute is not necessarily worse, I'd say it's a function of the distance and time more than anything else, and then whether it's at rush hour or not.

I used to live (and commute) in Paris, Brussels and London, but the worst commute I've ever had -by far- was only about 6 miles or so, from South Dublin (D16) to central Dublin (near St Stephen's Green). It's the one commute that eventually 'forced' me onto 2 wheels: on 4 wheels, it was an hour (yes, that's 6 mph average). Each way. That was soul destroying.

My commute is now 16 miles (Worksop-M'hall, give or take) and, comparatively, it's mostly bliss: bit of M1, bit of A57, bit of queeing here and there every now and then, but mostly moving. I'll have to see how IKEA changes that, though.

Normally IKEA is not to bad here in Gateshead. It's when they have the sales on or scan your receipt to see if you have won a prize when the problems start.

In the last 20 years i have constantly had 30 mile and 50 mile round commutes to work.Its not ideal but i am kind of used to it.It could be worse i could be having to use public transport to do it.I think i would sleep at work instead.:hihi:

For around six years in the nineties I was required to commute 100 miles, each way, taking two hours per journey, every week, between South Lincolnshire and Sheffield. I say 'was required' as I had only a temporary contract, a mortgage to pay and a living to make. It was a professional post in the higher education sector. For the first year I was only paid for teaching load or management hours worked and nothing for the rest of the working week. The irony was that the recession of the eighties had been the cause of my relocating to Lincolnshire from my home city.

Would I do it again? Probably not. Was it a privilege? Yes.

Was it worth it? Well, a local (unqualified) property repairer recently told me education was unimportant and unnecessary. As he was driving his second-hand hand Volvo he may have thought he was right. I'm hoping a large number of my valued students from those years might have reason to be grateful.