Is it necessary to use probiotics after antibiotic treatment?

Hello everyone

I have been recently taking antibiotics for my UTI and I have read that antibiotics kill the good microflora in your gut so I decided to take a probiotic. I stumbled upon many including Megael dena and Jarrow

Please give me suggestions. Is it a good idea to take a probiotic after antibiotics?

Thank you

Hello everyone

I have been recently taking antibiotics for my UTI and I have read that antibiotics kill the good microflora in your gut so I decided to take a probiotic. I stumbled upon many including Megael dena and Jarrow

Please give me suggestions. Is it a good idea to take a probiotic after antibiotics?

Thank you

No.

Probiotics are not medicines and cannot be advertised or sold as such.

They are classified as 'foods' and do not meet the far more rigorous testing required by medicines. They are not expected to do you any harm (except your wallet), however poor quality control means that amounts and even type of micro organisms they contain vary considerably.

If they survive the journey, Probiotics will not last in your gut as they cannot compete with your personal flora.

Disruption by antibiotics of gut flora is established, however the vast majority of claims made for probiotics are quackery, false or not proven. Examples of proven effects are from cases where medical supervision and treatment have been provided. In theses examples significance and placebo effects show that the contribution of probiotics is minor.

The gut flora will eventually retun to its normal populations and one view is that adding populations of other bacteria in the form of probiotics will disrupt this natural process.

Another viewpoint is continue with your current diet and begin to gradually remove foods such as beer, sprouting this and that, peas etc.

People with serious conditions should always work with their doctor-if they can afford it, which is not the case in the home of quackery and false claims which is of course the USA.