Owners Of Holiday Caravans, Bungalows, Apartments

Anyone been away on holiday this year (2014 ) to any of the UK resorts and stayed in a caravan, bungalow, cottage or apartment and paid what they thought to be over priced and expensive ?

My wife and I have been away on holiday this year to two different places - both of which we have been going to for the last 3 years - and have stayed in the same accommodation as we normally do.

Our first Holiday we stayed in a bungalow, the second holiday we stayed in an apartment....

being regulars you would think that the owners would offer a small discount for continued custom..............NO.......every year the rental is increased.

When I think of what I've spent on accommodation in the UK for a combined total OF 3 weeks annual holiday it goes right through me........holiday home owners are just plain greedy and will find they are pricing themselves out of business in time.

It cannot be said that when the summer is over they don't get income from renting out the properties, as the majority of apartments, bungalows and cottages are available to rent throughout the year.

Does anyone feel the same way as I do ?

No. I've always found self-catering accommodation very reasonably priced in comparison to hotels. We used to own a cottage in the Cotswolds which we rented out as a holiday let and made very little profit on it. How much are you paying for these places and what would you consider to be a reasonable rate?

Same as lectrolove. We stay in (independent) holiday cottages 4-6 times a year (whenever we can really). They offer something that other forms of holidaying can't, independence, comfort and a different environment.

If you work out the total cost of such a holiday you will quickly realise it is relatively cheap. It does of course depend on where you go and with how many, it helps that my wife knows all the good sites and ways of establishing which cottage is going to be good for us.

(We have only ever stayed in the same cottage twice, and that is out of a total of... 20 odd?)

If you work out the total cost of such a holiday you will quickly realise it is relatively cheap.

Yep. When we were open for business our highest peak rate was £900 per week, this was for a spacious four-bedroomed cottage with all mod cons sleeping 6 + baby, in the heart of one of the most popular villages in the Cotswolds. Divide that figure by 6 and it starts to look like a bargain.

To the OP you have to bear in mind the overheads. Many owners will be paying a mortgage, there will also be council tax or business rates, advertising and marketing fees, bills for gas, electricity, water and Internet (which is increasingly seen as a must-have), cleaning and laundry costs. Some owners will live close enough to be able to do their own cleaning and laundry but do you expect them to work for free? And they do rely on the summer season to bring in the bulk of their income as winter lets barely break even, people expect rock-bottom prices in the low season then hammer the heating by leaving it on round the clock, if they're not paying the bills why should they care?

Anyone been away on holiday this year (2014 ) to any of the UK resorts and stayed in a caravan, bungalow, cottage or apartment and paid what they thought to be over priced and expensive ?

My wife and I have been away on holiday this year to two different places - both of which we have been going to for the last 3 years - and have stayed in the same accommodation as we normally do.

Our first Holiday we stayed in a bungalow, the second holiday we stayed in an apartment....

being regulars you would think that the owners would offer a small discount for continued custom..............NO.......every year the rental is increased.

When I think of what I've spent on accommodation in the UK for a combined total OF 3 weeks annual holiday it goes right through me........holiday home owners are just plain greedy and will find they are pricing themselves out of business in time.

It cannot be said that when the summer is over they don't get income from renting out the properties, as the majority of apartments, bungalows and cottages are available to rent throughout the year.

If you think it's too expensive then don't book it....

Yes, indeed.

Caravan / self catering holidays used to be the affordable option for many people, but the prices have gone up and up to the point where many are priced out.

The two of us, (and dog,) go fishing every year, and simply want peace and quiet with a pond /lake. Nothing fancy and certainly no razzamatazz. But some of the prices are ridiculous. We're lucky to find anything under £500.

Edited by Anna B

I have a static caravan used just by my immediate family.I have never considered letting it out as in no way would it be profitable,and the contribution to my costs aren’t worth the hassle in my opinion.

The site owners do make money,but the costs and risks are down to the caravan owners.

I own a caravan at ingoldmels my rent has gone up £100 this year overheads get higher you have to charge more my rentals been the samebfor 3 years I now have put it up £20 a week in six weeks holiday rest of year no changes to rent :thumbsup:

The big sites seem to charge caravan owners exorbitant fees. Especially when compared with beautiful, well run sites abroad which are a third of the price.

More and more small independent sites seem to be being swallowed up by the big ones and then the prices go up.

The letting agency (without which we would get only a few bookings) takes 20% off the top; from this, take away council tax, income tax, gas & electricity charges, house & garden maintenance costs, cleaning costs, certification of appliances costs, there is not all that much left. Our holiday let is a useful source of income but is hardly a goldmine.

Edited by fatrajah