Like Oxford, should Sheffield ban all non electric vehicles?

But unlike Oxford where its only a city centre exclusion wouldn't it be brave if a 4 mile exclusion zone was introduced?

From hillsbough, to woodseats, to halfway to attercliffe

All non electric vehicles banned

And this would also include hybrid cars, banned too.

This would make a bold statement to the rest of the world that sheffield takes its environmental responsibility seriously.

And that poor health will not be passed onto the next generation from the current generation

A mad idea. It will not be a feasible plan in 20 years let alone now. Biggest fault, the supply of electricity. We sail close to the wind every winter and scrape through, just. Imagine if you will the demand for extra supply of electricity to power all our vehicles.

At the end of March 2017, there were 37.5 million vehicles registered for use on the road in Great Britain. Figures from Vehicle licensing statistics: January to March 2017 - GOV.UK.

Angel1.

Don't feed the troll

Like that from biggest troll on forum :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::loopy:

But unlike Oxford where its only a city centre exclusion wouldn't it be brave if a 4 mile exclusion zone was introduced?

From hillsbough, to woodseats, to halfway to attercliffe

All non electric vehicles banned

And this would also include hybrid cars, banned too.

This would make a bold statement to the rest of the world that sheffield takes its environmental responsibility seriously.

And that poor health will not be passed onto the next generation from the current generation

Lots of negative comments rogets, but you do have a valid point. I don't know anything about oxford, but if it actually works there, then why not Sheffield. lets give it a go, would take a lot planning, but to be a world leader in something would make me proud to be from Sheffield.

Maybe in about 100 years this may be feasible, but until you can charge a car in under two minutes, it's not happening.

So we carry on as we are?

Wouldn't it be great if sheffield led the way in something?

---------- Post added 12-10-2017 at 17:14 ----------

You.can buy a nissan leaf for £31,000

And I think you then have to pay a yearly lease fee of around £1500 to Nissan for your batteries.

You.can buy a nissan leaf for £31,000

No i can't

I'd lose my job. Heck, my entire department wouldn't be able to function!

Hang on, hang on... I've just noticed who started this thread :rolleyes:

If the government recalled all of the vehicles handed out for free via the disability system and made them all Electric, this would go a long way towards improving the balance of cars on the roads.

Making the brands of cars far more unfashionable might also get rid of a few of the scroungers who don't need a car through disability, but simply blag one! A recent Channel 5 documentary revealed this to be thousands and thousands nationally!!

It's not just getting people to get an electric car though, is it? There are literally thousands of houses and flats around the city who have to rely on on-street parking- how on earth are they meant to get their vehicles to somewhere where they can charge? I was offered a hybrid recently, but even with a disabled parking spot outside my house the only way I could charge it would be to trail a cable out across the pavement, which is both a trip hazard and would allow all and sundry to use the electricity without paying for it.

Until

1) Lots more people have a way to charge these vehicles,

2) The electric vehicles are more capable of dealing with streets like Blake Street and other streets which are very seriously hilly,

3) There is a large improvement in electric car technology such that a long journey doesn't involve a break of several hours in the middle to recharge the car, and

4) The electricity used to charge the cars is not in itself adding more carbon dioxide and pollutants into the atmosphere to negate any gains from having electric cars,

this is a total pipe dream.

---------- Post added 12-10-2017 at 21:32 ----------

If the government recalled all of the vehicles handed out for free via the disability system and made them all Electric, this would go a long way towards improving the balance of cars on the roads.

Making the brands of cars far more unfashionable might also get rid of a few of the scroungers who don't need a car through disability, but simply blag one! A recent Channel 5 documentary revealed this to be thousands and thousands nationally!!

The vehicles are not handed out free!

When I get my next vehicle, in order to get one that meets my needs (mostly due to my disabilities, also need to fit in very tall people and a dog) I will need to find nearly £2000 advance payment for the lease, and then through the duration of the lease I will surrender nearly £9000 of benefits in order to fund the lease.

If I didn't have a Motability vehicle I would have that £9000 in my bank account in benefits because the government understand that living with disabilities is a lot more expensive than if you're able bodied.

Some use that money to fund taxis or to pay for their own car. I don't have the capital to buy a car that meets my needs so this suits me, but believe me, I'm saving for 3 years in order to have the money to even enter into a lease agreement!

The government statistics on fraudulent disability benefit payment is that approximately 0.5% are awarded inappropriately. If you want to be jealous because I drive a nicer car than you, how about you understand how and why I drive that car? The 99.5% who withstand prejudice, hatred and jealousy just to try to live a normal life really don't warrant the alarmist clap trap.

I'd lose my job. Heck, my entire department wouldn't be able to function!

Hang on, hang on... I've just noticed who started this thread :rolleyes:

Yeah, I held my response back in time, just as my eye caught the name on the OP. at least my brakes work.:hihi:

Exclusion zone for non electric cars... Come on lad we're in 2017 and we can barely solve potholes on most of our roads.. stop talking nonsense. I suspect you've been reading into too much propaganda from those companies that have something to benefit from

Do some joined up thinking ,There is barely enough capacity in the National Grid now so where is the power going to come from for all these Electric cars