Woodwork/workshop DIY group/club?

I am a man without a shed. And no mates-with-sheds either.

So I'm looking for a place I can go to with my 'stuff-that-needs-repairing' and borrow tools and do it myself while I'm there.

Are there such places in Sheffield?

It seems like there should be this sort of place; a DIY club or group, because we can't all afford to have our own sheds and tools. Yet we need to be repairing more of our own stuff.

(I'm not talking about 'wood turning clubs' that get together and show off their skills, but work on in their own homes)

If there aren't any places like this, can someone be my mate-with-a-shed:)

James in S6

I am a man without a shed. And no mates-with-sheds either.

So I'm looking for a place I can go to with my 'stuff-that-needs-repairing' and borrow tools and do it myself while I'm there.

Are there such places in Sheffield?

It seems like there should be this sort of place; a DIY club or group, because we can't all afford to have our own sheds and tools. Yet we need to be repairing more of our own stuff.

(I'm not talking about 'wood turning clubs' that get together and show off their skills, but work on in their own homes)

If there aren't any places like this, can someone be my mate-with-a-shed:)

James in S6

Why not ask on here for a garage/shed to rent local

Why not ask on here for a garage/shed to rent local

Good question. I don't want my own shed or tools. I want something like a library; but instead of sitting and reading someone else's books, I want to pop in and use someone else's tools now and again. Maybe have a chat and get a bit of advice. Fix stuff for the kids and so on. Like a community DIY club.

Surely there must be something like that?

James

It looks like you've got yourself a project - setting up this facility :thumbsup:

You just need an exclusive niche group to allocate it to so you can secure funding (heaven forbid funding should be available to an inclusive group)

Somebody need to set this up, cus I want to join Sheffield Men In Sheds when I retire from the day job :):)

This actually sounds like a really good Idea to set up something like this ive not heard of one why don't you try and do this wow id go nd ive got my own garage lol!

Thanks for your encouragement. Maybe I'll have to set something up myself.

I've been thinking how important it is these days to share skills (and tools). I guess thirty or forty years ago you'd always know someone on your street who could give you a hand fixing stuff, and of course there was a totally different culture of 'make do and mend'.

I have a feeling a lot of people these days will need to be repairing and making their own stuff. But instead of it being about only you and B&Q, it could be more community building thing. Especially to give a chance for people who've practiced skills all their working lives to pass them on.

I've heard there is a 'repair-fair' in Heeley, you can go along with your bits and bobs and get them fixed or fixed stuff for other people. Sounds good.

It would be cool to have more permanent places, workshops you could drop in anytime of the week.

If anyone has any ideas to add, lets hear 'em.

James

Edited by jamesstarky
spelling

I have a feeling a lot of people these days will need to be repairing and making their own stuff. But instead of it being about only you and B&Q, it could be more community building thing. Especially to give a chance for people who've practiced skills all their working lives to pass them on.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I'd be interested in helping set this up. I think a good start would be to get a small group of people who can put a little time into discussing it and collectively applying for grants. I think if you can find a suitable workshop location and get it funded, you'll find that people would happily donate a little bit of money or their unused tools.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I'd be interested in helping set this up. I think a good start would be to get a small group of people who can put a little time into discussing it and collectively applying for grants. I think if you can find a suitable workshop location and get it funded, you'll find that people would happily donate a little bit of money or their unused tools.

I think that's the right approach. I work full time at the moment but I can put 'a little time' into starting discussions and finding out what exists in terms of support, and build from there.

PM me if you want to meet up for a chat.

Cheers

James

The Land Rover forum I am on has 'workshop meets': every so often, folks turn up to help whoever sort his vehicle. I am in the process of putting my wood lather in a more permanent place in my garage, maybe this is the sort of idea? Bring a bit of wood, play with the lathe.....bash some metal.... Weld a few bits of steel together... Possibility?

Hello

It might be worth calling in at Access Space on Sidney Street Sheffield as they have a set up on site for building/fixing computers but different machinery for doing other types of jobs including woodwork.

Olusola

So, did anyone get anywhere with this project?

If not, shall we give it some more thought?