Sign in to follow this  

Old city centre walkways

My job takes me many places around the city centre, mainly old walkways when i'm dealing with trade waste issues.

I'm told Black swan walk, Exchange gateway and norfolk row alleyway have quite a bit of history to them, does anyone have some info on any of these? And do you know of any other old walkways around the city?

Hi,

First off have a look on http://www.picturesheffield.com

use the search facility and either type in the name of the walkway or check to see if it's on the relevant list. I'd be interested to know myself about such places.

Thanks for that!

Two of the Ambassadors I work with know alot about Sheffield history and have told me a bit about some of them but they only know so much (most of it from when they were young).

Duffman, did the other ambassadors tell you anything about Black Swan Walk? I'd be interested to know about that.

I vaguely remember a book about the city centre footpaths and walkways...I read a review of it in the star a few years ago...anyone else remember?

Yes they did, that's what got me going with this thread.

He showed me the lay out of how it may have been leading down to the hotel at the bottom going into Norfolk street.

When i'm back at work next week I will ask more about it.

There's quite a good description of old Sheffield streets here:

Sheffield Streets

Beware though, it's quite long and may take some time to download.