Demolition (Channel 4) - Vote for a horrid Sheffield Building

Guest unners

Channel 4 are making a new series to be broadcast in the Autumn in which viewers can nominate a building that they would like to see Demolished(free to vote through website).

I have nominated the Roxy/Odeon Buildings for obvious reasons and sent them a link of previous discussions on this website to back up the case.

If we all pull together you never know what we might achieve!

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/D/demolition/index.html

I vote for Hyde Park! :clap:

Before anyone else points this out, I realise the building is listed! It's just on my personal wish-list!

K x

it always amuses me when people talk about architecture. they'll always start off with 'sheffield looks like a crap in a bath' and everyone will agree. Then after about two more sentences, we all realise that I like modernism and low key buildings, you like classical stuff, you like new buildings etc etc.

So fair enough, it's all subjective and we can't agree. But how on earth can you hate the winter gardens, Captain Scarlet? It's beautifully shaped, made out of wood, not too big, warm and free and happy inside, public.

My choices would be anything that they've reclad in cheap looking plastic: in particular, redvers house and milton house. Milton house, argh please stop, it looks so fake that I expect to see it on a channel 5 expose soon.

Redvers House was a genuinely good looking building with some great detailing - that unfortunately had not been maintained properly.

It's gone from being a little gem to going on my Demolition list!

Grosvenor Hotel would be my nomination.

I thought the Grosvenor was going to be demolished anyway!:confused:

My vote would go with either the Roxy, Milton House or Redvers House.

Kristian - I though most of Hyde Park had already been pulled down?:confused:

royal plaza, west one, the new sinclairs building (save time to do it now), wards brewery flats, exchange brewery flats and so on.

I don't mean it really, but people will be looking to demolish them all in about 20 years.....

Originally posted by tom_common

? It's beautifully shaped, made out of wood, not too big, warm and free and happy inside, public.

It's the most unappropriate, ugly and pointless building ever, cost millions to the Lottery fund, it's a greenhouse, there's nothing in it... You want me to continue ?

It's made out of glass and wood, which is pretty lame for CITY CENTRE ! If it had been down in Cornwall at the Eden Centre it'd be where it should be, but not in a flippin garden centre !

Build shops, hotels, tall things with limestone ! Stuff like Telegraph House (High Street), Quicksilver (Pinstone St), stuff that looks classy, not cheap like a 20 by 10 metre greenhouse !

Thank god we won't have see it once the hotel is built !!!! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

I vote for the new hotel they're building next to the Winter Gardens. Whose great idea was it to put it there "where shall we put this new high-rise building? I know, next to Sheffield's landmark glasshouse, if we position it right we should be able to block out most of the light on a good day".

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

It's the most unappropriate, ugly and pointless building ever, cost millions to the Lottery fund, it's a greenhouse, there's nothing in it... You want me to continue ?

It's made out of glass and wood, which is pretty lame for CITY CENTRE ! If it had been down in Cornwall at the Eden Centre it'd be where it should be, but not in a flippin garden centre !

Build shops, hotels, tall things with limestone ! Stuff like Telegraph House (High Street), Quicksilver (Pinstone St), stuff that looks classy, not cheap like a 20 by 10 metre greenhouse !

Thank god we won't have see it once the hotel is built !!!! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

But the whole point is that it is not like the rest of the city centre!! I love going in there because it is quiet, calm, warm and light. It's a little haven, and I would far rather have that than another "tall thing" out of limestone!

I have an idea for a new programme - lets vote for a building that we DO like! Wouldn't that be novel - actually praising something and acknowledging that there are good buildings in Sheffield and that they can have a positive impact on our lives.

The Winter Gardens is pretty disappointing considering the fuss that was made about it, as glass-houses go it's not all that special (and it does feel like it ought to have more plants in it, but hopefully that'll come as the current ones grow), but we've got it now and we ought to make the most of it. Building a hotel next door, to make it look even more squashed in than it does already, is a dumb idea: far better to make some sort of small urban park between the Winter Gardens and the Peace Gardens.