Friendship in North Sheffield

Guest Guest

Does anybody know a Sheffield site or place where I can find persons who, just like me, are looking for new social contacts and friend(ships)?Thanks.

Its a bit of a toughy finding new people in Sheffield. There are sites like http://www.meetup.com which you might find useful if your prepared to travel to Manchester. They let people with similar interests arange meetups for free, and dont include Sheffield as a city. Although they say they will consider adding more cities if requested, so maybe if a few of us all request them to add Sheffield at the same time then we can get it up there.

But having said that we might be able to organise something on this forum, we could use a poll to see who wants to meet where, and maybe ask Geoff to make it sticky so everybody will see it. Or we could have some kind of regular meeting.

just a thought.

Guest Guest

No, it doesn't matter at all where the person comes from. :? But I experienced the difficulty of meeting somebody 'in real life' to build up a friendship with (I am not from Sheffield). So thinking of the penpal internetsites I hoped there was a similar site for people who want to meet other people in Sheffield as well.

Guest Guest

rf, Thanks for the URL of the meetup-site. I like the idea to have a similar possibility for Sheffield as well as some kind of regular meeting, as you mentioned. Hopefully more persons support this thought?

I would be interested in contacting you if you are interested? :D

Originally posted by "angel84uk"

I would be interested in contacting you if you are interested? :D

Thanks 8) I just put my name & email address on the memberlist.

Hi

I am new in the area and I too am finding it quite tough to meet folk and make friends.

I joined a group called SPICE which is based in Sheffield. They do all kinds of activities as well as meeting people. There is a really mixture of people who go to these things.

The website is www.spiceuk.com and they have a South Yorkshire branch so you can meet other Sheffielders.

Good luck I am sure that we will get there in the end.

Anne-Marie

Guest Guest

Ive heard that Spice is a good organisation to join too, I think they offer a variety of activities etc.

After Richard's reaction (see 07 Jan) I requested the coordinator of 'Meetup' (www.meetup.com) to add Sheffield as well on the list of cities in England. I received their reply and as it might be interesting for more people of this forum, I will copy and paste that reply in this post.

As I am not familiar with Sheffield's venues, I hope you can help me by providing suitable public places. Thanks in advance.

Asa

Meetup's reply: -------------------------------------

<<<That's a great suggestion! We had limited time and resources to add cities

at our launch, but we do want to expand to as many places as possible. We

would be more than happy to add your city to our database, but before

opening in any given city, we need to have some good Meetup places.

We generally like to have 12-15 venues in a given city before opening it

up. If you could provide us with 12-15 good cafes/restaurants/bars in your

city (i.e. name, address, phone number, & type of venue), we can get it in

there even faster.

Thank you for your suggestions! I look forward to hearing from you again.

Regards,>>> -------------------------------------

With meetup.com they have a whole bunch of groups, Buffy fans etc, and their meeting occur in each city in the world on the same day (if I understand correctly) so we should provide a good mix of places, including places for under 18's.

Some bars in Broomhill :-

Fitzooth & Firkin

164 Whitham Road

Broomhill

0114 268 1235

O'Neill's Irish Bar

247 Fulwood Road

Broomhill

0114 268 8061

Fox & Duck, The

227 Fulwood Road

Broomhill