"accidentally" driving into the busgate on Bridge Street.

It was terrible traffic in the whole city centre today.

I was late to catch the train.

Had to cut short.

thus made the very bad/naughty/unresponsible decision to go through castlegate towards Bridge Street, hoping it wasn't enforced busgate.

Unfortunately, according to

https://maps.sheffield.gov.uk/LocalViewExt/Sites/BusTramGates/

it seems that this busgate is enforced.

Then I found this

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/415786/response/1034683/attach/html/3/FOI%20495%20Monday%20bus%20lane%20PCNs%20Extended%20v2%20updated%208%209%2017.xlsx.html

It seems there are about 0 - 7 persons get caught everyday. average of 2 on Mondays.

Could I get lucky? It will be my last time to go through that lane.

---------- Post added 18-10-2017 at 18:48 ----------

I don't understand how the static camera could only catch so few people?

Or they are caught by the police coming out of the station?

Probably very few caught because it is well signed and the road at that point is quite narrow. Police wouldn't stop transgressors as they know that they are caught by the camera.

I don't understand how the static camera could only catch so few people?

Or they are caught by the police coming out of the station?

It isn't an automatic camera.

It is an observed camera, so you will only be ticketed if an operator saw you.

Thank you very much.

Are many like that? I thought they'd be all automated?

Not quite. They replay the footage each day and watch for cars going through. Theres no escape really. Once you've driven through, your caught.

I accidentally took a wrong turn and drove down the Wicker one Sunday evening last year and was caught quite literarily like a flash. No escape!

Not quite. They replay the footage each day and watch for cars going through. Theres no escape really. Once you've driven through, your caught.

No that isn't the case.

On an observed camera, the operator has to physically observe and record the contravention. They have to zoom in and record the registration on the vehicle, make, model etc.

A second operator then reviews the recordings to check that they are valid contraventions.

Automatic cameras are set to record all contraventions and then all recordings are reviewed by an operator to check they are actually contraventions.

---------- Post added 19-10-2017 at 13:16 ----------

Are many like that? I thought they'd be all automated?

The original ones that they put in a few years ago are observed (as automatic ones weren't available at the time), so it's Wicker, Hillsborough, Glossop Rd and Queens Rd that are observed. The more recent ones, like Boston St, London Rd, Mansfield Rd etc are automatic.

Council are currently working on a project to replace the observed cameras with automatic ones. It will probably happen early next year.

Looks like a fine is on its way to you

Not quite. They replay the footage each day and watch for cars going through.

No that isn't the case.

Well I can say for certain that the recordings of the camera on the bus gate on Bridge Street are reviewed periodically during the day to see who has been filmed going through it.

Well I can say for certain that the recordings of the camera on the bus gate on Bridge Street are reviewed periodically during the day to see who has been filmed going through it.

The bus gates are manually observed all day by an operator along with the wicker and Hillsborough corner bus gates. They can only log the details of one bus gate contravention at a time.

Not sure why they would review footage throughout the day as they can't issue a bus lane pcn retrospectively and won't gain anything from it.

The bus gates are manually observed all day by an operator along with the wicker and Hillsborough corner bus gates. They can only log the details of one bus gate contravention at a time.

Not sure why they would review footage throughout the day as they can't issue a bus lane pcn retrospectively and won't gain anything from it.

I have been in the CCTV room when one of the operators has rewind the CCTV then fast forward it to a vehicle going through the bus gate, recorded it on the log and move on to the next one.