Sign in to follow this  

Local history resources

I'm quite interested in the history of Sheffield. Does anyone know of any good websites about the history of our city?

Please see a previous post of mine - Sheffield history web page.

If you can't see it, check out

www.jimsdesk.fsnet.co.uk

and look in the Sheffield section.

Cheers.

Hello Jim

I came across your website many months ago when I was researching Sheffield history - specifically how the Duke of Norfolk came to own most of the city!

Was it down to 1066 and all that? I'm sorry, but I got a little confused as there was a bit too much info for me to digest in one sitting :oops:

Sorry for the lack of response, I don't look here as often as I should! :oops:

Cutting a long story short, after William the Conqueror invaded, the lands around Sheffield passed through various 'noble' hands until they came into the possession of the Talbot family, the Earl's of Shrewsbury.

The seventh Earl of Shrewsbury and last to inherit the lordship of Sheffield was Gilbert, a bad-tempered person with extravagant tastes, who for most of his life lived far beyond his income. At this time there were many extremely poor people in the town and after Earl Gilbert's death in 1616, his will was found to contain a bequest for the building of a hospital for twenty of the poorest folk. Unfortunately there was no money available for this purpose and it was not until 1665 that the Earl's great-grandson was able to provide the necessary funds to build the Shrewsbury Hospital.

As Gilbert had no son, his property passed to his brother, Edward, but he died after only nine months and all the Talbot estates were then divided between Gilbert's three daughters, Alethea, Mary and Elizabeth. As these ladies were already married to men of rank and fortune who lived in other parts of the country, their interest in the little town of Sheffield was negligible.

It was through Alethea Talbot's marriage to Thomas, Earl of Arundel and Surrey, the grandson of the Duke of Norfolk who had been beheaded for plotting to place Mary, Queen of Scots on the throne, that the Talbot estates eventually came to be the property of the Dukes of Norfolk. However the Dukes of Norfolk, though still holding rich estates in the Sheffield area, ceased to have feudal control over the people and from this time became Lords of Hallamshire in name only. An agent was then employed by each Duke to look after his interests in Sheffield, the Dukes themselves residing at their castle in Arundel.

Hope this helps.