Is the age of chivalry dead?

It's probably just me but I am just travelling back from Manchester by train with my wife.

As I am on crutches at the moment we went in to the disabled compartment. All six drop down seats were full and people were also standing. On seeing me struggle on to the train a young lady jumped up ( thank you very much) and gave me her seat.

Three of the seats were occupied by middle aged men. Considering that the majority of the standing occupants were female I was very surprised that none of them offered their seats to the females.

I know that we are in the age of equality and rights for women and rightly so but I could not bring myself to stay seated while there are women stood in my presence without offering up my seat.

Guest makapaka
It's probably just me but I am just travelling back from Manchester by train with my wife.

As I am on crutches at the moment we went in to the disabled compartment. All six drop down seats were full and people were also standing. On seeing me struggle on to the train a young lady jumped up ( thank you very much) and gave me her seat.

Three of the seats were occupied by middle aged men. Considering that the majority of the standing occupants were female I was very surprised that none of them offered their seats to the females.

I know that we are in the age of equality and rights for women and rightly so but I could not bring myself to stay seated while there are women stood in my presence without offering up my seat.

The men were probably worried about being called a misogynist or something - easier just to keep still and quiet.

The young woman was obviously well brought up and aware enough to notice you actually needed a seat in the disabled area. No marks for the men who ignored you. Old, impaired mobility, heavily pregnant, all reasons why it's kind to offer up a seat, rather than purely gender IMO.

The men were probably worried about being called a misogynist or something - easier just to keep still and quiet.

Give over :hihi:

" Is the age of chivalry dead? "

It may well be, if it's not dead it is severely wounded.

I was taught in the 60's by Mum and Dad to give up my seat on public transport, for the old, the infirm and for any Lady. I honestly doubt if that is done in 2018, is it?.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

I was taught in the 60's by Mum and Dad to give up my seat on public transport, for the old, the infirm and for any Lady. I honestly doubt if that is done in 2018, is it?.

Angel1.

and did you teach your children to give up theirs seats on public transport to others ?

and did you teach your children to give up theirs seats on public transport to others ?

We decided not to have children, although at the age of 68 I sometimes wish I could call on a son or grandson for a little help doing things.

As for your question, yes I certainly would have learnt them the same manners that I learned from my Parents. Good manners cost nothing, just a little time and instruction.

Angel1.

The young woman was obviously well brought up and aware enough to notice you actually needed a seat in the disabled area. No marks for the men who ignored you. Old, impaired mobility, heavily pregnant, all reasons why it's kind to offer up a seat, rather than purely gender IMO.

Definitely agree, I was horrified some time ago when, on a train from London to Manchester, that a disabled man was told to sit on the floor :(

Guest makapaka

Angel1.

I was taught to do the same in the 80s

---------- Post added 16-03-2018 at 21:01 ----------

Give over :hihi:

I was messin.

The elderly,the infirm and the young always benefit from my chivalry.

As i've said before just being able to have babies doesn't get you any better treatment than anyone else.

I've had "ladies" sneer at me for daring to offer a seat as though i've insulted them,so now i don't bother. I've also had ladies assume they've a right to a seat.

A ticket gets you a ride not a seat.

I've seen umpteen examples of people giving up priority seats on trams to elderly or obviously disabled people. I've also seen people offer their seats but been turned down. I've also seen mothers prioritising their spawn over elderly or disabled people just because, obviously, their precious child is the most important thing in the universe.

At the end of the day it's basic politeness and civility.

Good manners are good manners, and as such are timeless. They should be much appreciated, (and usually are) by those lucky enough to be on the receiving end.

Parents: please continue to teach good manners to your offspring. They never go out of fashion in spite of all the political correctness in the world, and hopefully will last them a lifetime and be passed on in turn.

All Recipients: please receive with gratitude and good grace, in the spirit with which they're intended. They are part of living in a kinder and more civilised society, which benefits everyone. Shame on you if you make anyone feel bad about offering.