Excel Basic Time Management

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to make a basic project management tool in Excel, basically all I want it to do is tell me a completion time and date from the initial date/time entered.

e.g. I have something that will take 1 day 12 hours to complete, I start it on the 6th March at 9:30am (06/03/2018 09:30:00), so the completion date would be as follows: 07/03/2018 21:30:00

But it would need to deal with if it were just 4hrs for example too.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

N

Edited by NeoGen
Correct Typos

Hi Swarfendor43,

Many thanks for your reply, I had a look at these and to be honest I'm after something a lot more basic.

Something like:

1). Start date and time Enter the day and time the project was started;

2). Days to completion (enter the number of days and hours it will take to finish, this is known beforehand)

3P. Estimated time of completion (Calculated from above fields)

Regards

N

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to make a basic project management tool in Excel, basically all I want it to do is tell me a completion time and date from the initial date/time entered.

e.g. I have something that will take 1 day 12 hours to complete, I start it on the 6th March at 9:30am (06/03/2018 09:30:00), so the completion date would be as follows: 07/03/2018 21:30:00

But it would need to deal with if it were just 4hrs for example too.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

N

Should be quite easy to achieve.

Column A - start date and time

Column B - duration in days / hours / mins

Column C - end date and time: Column A plus Column B

You need to ensure that columns A, B and C are all correctly formatted for dates and times by using the custom format dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Guest

Are you dealing with work going on 24hours per day or just having working days of, say, 8hours?

Should be quite easy to achieve.

Column A - start date and time

Column B - duration in days / hours / mins

Column C - end date and time: Column A plus Column B

You need to ensure that columns A, B and C are all correctly formatted for dates and times by using the custom format dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm.

Hope this helps.

Hi SgtDave,

Many thanks for your reply, it is column B I'm not sure about, how would I enter 12d 6hrs in to column B, how would it be formatted? If I format it as dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm I wouldn't be able to just put in 12d 6hrs. This is where I am falling down.

Many thanks

N

---------- Post added 12-03-2018 at 08:18 ----------

Are you dealing with work going on 24hours per day or just having working days of, say, 8hours?

Hi cgksheff,

Many thanks for your reply, I am using a full calendar, 24/7/365,

Regards

N

Either have 2 separate columns for days and hours, or enter in hours only (so 12d 6h would be 294 h)

Hi SgtDave,

Many thanks for your reply, it is column B I'm not sure about, how would I enter 12d 6hrs in to column B, how would it be formatted? If I format it as dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm I wouldn't be able to just put in 12d 6hrs. This is where I am falling down.

Many thanks

N

---------- Post added 12-03-2018 at 08:18 ----------

Hi cgksheff,

Many thanks for your reply, I am using a full calendar, 24/7/365,

Regards

N

Hi,

You could format Column B as time only (hh:mm) and then enter 294:00:00 (ie 12 days 6 hrs 00 mins 00 secs in hours). I appreciate that having to include a value for seconds seems strange given the format is hh:mm, but Excel has its quirks. That solution works for me.

Andysm's version is also feasible but the format for days would need to be number with 0 decimal places.

Edited by Guest