Toys R Us and Maplin.

They've both gone bust...

Failure of the bricks and mortar model of selling in the face of online competition....? Or just high priced tat like Woolies.

Or can we try and blame it on the EU somehow...

They've both gone bust...

Failure of the bricks and mortar model of selling in the face of online competition....? Or just high priced tat like Woolies.

Or can we try and blame it on the EU somehow...

Maplins are high priced..

Maplins are high priced..

Was just gonna say, Maplins is VERY high priced compared

Was just gonna say, Maplins is VERY high priced compared

They didnt used to be - then online competition came along.... I think that generally it's high priced tat now that offered a bit of service to hobbyists by being accessible but thats gone long ago..

when will the closing down sale begin? As i want a DJI mavic

Maplins used to be fairly good. Then for some reason they moved on to mainly selling kids electric cars and general tat. The decent kit they had was so over priced it was a joke.

I'm going back well over 10 years when I say "Used to be" I'm very surprised they lasted this long.

Its a shame as everybody into electronics will have used maplins. its fondly remembered on the high street just like Woolies, and still going strong? i hope WH Smiths and Boots. Think the last thing i bought from maplins was a playstation 1 pad to pc adapter (if i remember that was expensive tho)

As for Toys R us thats been going for over a year?

interesting to read the possible reasons, and just being out of town is one.

god i miss redgates :(

Edited by melthebell

god i miss redgates :(

Now thats a blast from the past. I remember all the Star wars stuff to the left as you walked in. Figures, light sabers, masks. Id be straight down there with my pocket money on a Saturday morning. I got my first ZOID from Redgates.

Good times.

Now thats a blast from the past. I remember all the Star wars stuff to the left as you walked in. Figures, light sabers, masks. Id be straight down there with my pocket money on a Saturday morning. I got my first ZOID from Redgates.

Good times.

yup, it was like 300 foot high rooms of toy awesomeness lol, theres been a fair few threads in the history section on redgates over the years

I will miss Maplins, for the occasional bits I needed...always a nice store to walk around. A long time since my kids dragged me around ToysRus though!

......That's Maplins and Bardwells gone in Sheffield within a short space of time! Got to be online sales causing the problem!

......That's Maplins and Bardwells gone in Sheffield within a short space of time! Got to be online sales causing the problem!

Maybe people aren;t fixing stuff..these days a lot of "broken" things get thrown away..