Is 7.5 fence legal with loophole?

My neighbour has fence panels of 6 foot, BUT in order to make the fence higher, they have built the fence on two very thick lengths of wood, from ground level. The entire fence including the wood supports, makes the fence from ground level, 7 & half feet tall. Is this a legal loophole to make your fence higher, or do the supports that your fence is built on not count?

Edited by poppet2

I think 2 metres (6'6") is the limit without planning permission. however, I've got a 6' fence panel and then used a 1' gravel board to make my fence 7'. My neighbour went halves with me and are quite happy with it.

The fence should be no higher than 2metres,some areas in Sheffield it is less.

My neighbour has fence panels of 6 foot, BUT in order to make the fence higher, they have built the fence on two very thick lengths of wood, from ground level. The entire fence including the wood supports, makes the fence from ground level, 7 & half feet tall. Is this a legal loophole to make your fence higher, or do the supports that your fence is built on not count?

I very much doubt that is a loophole if from ground to top it is still 7.5 feet tall.

It will not matter exactly how the fence is constructed, total height will be of importance.

Have you asked them why they've put up such a large fence?

Is it causing you bother?

My fence is over 8 foot - from my side,but only 6 foot from my neighbours side and almost 10 foot from the public footpath that runs along the other side.

An 8 foot fence!!! Don't you get on with your neighbours?

An 8 foot fence!!! Don't you get on with your neighbours?

get on extremely well, which is why from their position the fence is only 6 foot high.

Now the psycho cow on the other side - we have a six foot fence on top of a 6 foot high wall.

No idea about the exact law but the house I grew up in had a long garden, and the first 5 fences on both sides were 2ft board with 6ft fence on top. The rest of the garden was just 6ft fences. It created a private patio area with a slightly less private grass area. Seemed to work well from what I remember.

NB: quite apart from the Planning rules [max. 1m fronting to road, 2m on other boundaries], there might also be covenants (freehold or leasehold) which prescribe fence height limits. Of course, none of these applies to a fence which was already there before the rule was first introduced in any case.