Suitable external hdd for playstation

Any recommendations for external hdd suitable for both PS3+4 to save game progress on

Nope, You cannot save application saved data, themes or screenshot/video clips to external storage.

Right , anyway I can expand memory on said play stations ?

You can install a bigger hard drive, not sure what you have at the moment though.

You can format external hdds to PS4 and then install games on it, or leave it Windows format and copy screenshots/videos and backup save data to it - but you cannot use save data directly on it, it has to be copied back to the internal HDD.

You can format external hdds to PS4 and then install games on it, or leave it Windows format and copy screenshots/videos and backup save data to it - but you cannot use save data directly on it, it has to be copied back to the internal HDD.

so use the ext hdd for the games, and internal for saved games? sorted

Depends what they wanted it for, they may have been intending to move their save data between consoles but I believe that is ONLY possible via cloud saves.

They have to find some way to bully you into paying for PSN+ after all.

Right , anyway I can expand memory on said play stations ?

as said above, you could install a bigger HDD...

purchase a 2.5" Laptop drive of your desired size (make sure the drive is standard thickness too)

remove current drive, replace with new drive... make sure you have the latest update on a USB stick downloaded from the Sony site..

put in the USB with the update (PS4 turned off), and press/hold power button for about 10 seconds, this will boot 'safe mode'

once there, choose "Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)"

Once finished, sign back into your acc't and you have a fresh, and upgraded PS4...

Interesting. Didn't know most of the above.

I'm not trying to hijack the OP's thread but...

Although a lot more messing, would the best way be. Backup saves and anything else you want to keep. Then install a big 2.5" internal? or is there a limit on that?

Just curious as my 1TB is at the point where I have to uninstall before I can add another (game) If I can, I'd like to install a 2TB or above.

Yes you backup the current HDD to an external one, install a new internal one, restore the backup.

But as that means you need an external HDD AND a new internal HDD, its a lot cheaper to just keep the normal internal HDD and use the external HDD for extra storage.

The only reason I replaced my PS4 HDD is because they hadn't added the support for using external USB HDDs for games back then.

Also, the PS4 backup procedure is SLOW, like potentially over a day to backup slow.

Yes you backup the current HDD to an external one, install a new internal one, restore the backup.

But as that means you need an external HDD AND a new internal HDD, its a lot cheaper to just keep the normal internal HDD and use the external HDD for extra storage.

The only reason I replaced my PS4 HDD is because they hadn't added the support for using external USB HDDs for games back then.

Also, the PS4 backup procedure is SLOW, like potentially over a day to backup slow.

Thanks Alex,

An external HDD isn't a problem. I know you're probably thinking "well plug it in!" I'm a tad OCD and don't like external drives as a permanent fixture. I know there used to be a height limit on the old PS3 drives, not sure on the PS4 so I'll do a bit of reading.