Looking for shops selling natural soaps etc

I'm looking for shops where I can buy natural soaps or shower gels etc, no petrochemicals added. Most toiletries have additives which make my skin sore, even baby soaps. I have been to Holland and Barrett but their range is limited. I like Dr Bronners but I have to buy it mail order.

I have bought other soaps and shower gels but I need to be able to read the list of ingredients.

I'm looking for shops where I can buy natural soaps or shower gels etc, no petrochemicals added. Most toiletries have additives which make my skin sore, even baby soaps. I have been to Holland and Barrett but their range is limited. I like Dr Bronners but I have to buy it mail order.

I have bought other soaps and shower gels but I need to be able to read the list of ingredients.

Amazon sell Dr Bronners, that's where I get it from. Oh and I've seen it in TK Maxx occasionally too.

And etsy sell loads of homemade natural soaps.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=natural+soap&explicit=1&locationQuery=2635167 ..

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ElliesFarmShop?ref=listing-shop2-all-items-count#items these look particularly nice

Edited by Valentine1

Amazon sell Dr Bronners, that's where I get it from. Oh and I've seen it in TK Maxx occasionally too.

And etsy sell loads of homemade natural soaps.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=natural+soap&explicit=1&locationQuery=2635167 ..

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ElliesFarmShop?ref=listing-shop2-all-items-count#items these look particularly nice

Thanks for the reply. I already do lots of mail order and hubby as Amazon prime, I was wondering if there was a shop I could pop in to reasonably locally.

I have just subscribed to an offer on Amazon. If you agree to buy five products on a subscription basis you get a reduced price. You can set the frequency as far apart as every three or six months, not sure exactly. We have set up a subscription more frequently than that.

I'm not too keen on a lot of Etsy sellers for this item. Previously I have 'spoken' to quite a few soap makers on a forum and lots aren't aware of current regulations etc. I have allergies so I have to be sure they know exactly what is in there, even down to small amounts which are often added without legally having to be declared on the ingredients.

How about Lush on Fargate? Check their website.

How about Lush on Fargate? Check their website.

Thanks for posting. I hadn't thought about them as their products have a really strong fragrance and colour. I have just looked at the ingredients of three items and they are full of PEGs, the petrochemicals I want to avoid.

Thanks for posting. I hadn't thought about them as their products have a really strong fragrance and colour. I have just looked at the ingredients of three items and they are full of PEGs, the petrochemicals I want to avoid.

What about making your own soap? Then you know exactly what's gone into it.

https://www.diynatural.com/how-to-make-soap-2/ Then you can add your own essential oils or whatever else you want, such as seeds for exfoliating purposes.

Edited by Valentine1

What about making your own soap? Then you know exactly what's gone into it.

I've had a dabble. I have got a soap kit from a supplier but that's what I was commenting about, not everyone is diligent about where they buy their raw materials from and what they may be contaminated with. This goes for suppliers of raw materials as well as finished products. Melt and pour falls into this category but cold process is a lot more involved. You need to work in advance and leave it to cure before using it. Its also easy to mess it up, especially if making goats milk soap. If you add the caustic at the wrong speed it can 'burn' the milk as it heats up too quickly.

I found a really good supplier recently but their soap is expensive. They made it themselves and were really clued up about the additives I'm allergic to. I think their soap is £6.95 for a small 100g bar. They then want £1.90 per bar of soap for p&p even if ordering three at one time. All three bars fit into a Jiffy bag and would have cost much less to post. Its not bad as a luxury treat item but when you need to use it full time its expensive. This is why I was looking for somewhere to go to.

I will have to make do with Dr Bronners at the moment. I may one day go to classes for cold process soap. I have thought about it many times in the past, before I actually knew what allergy I had.

Sheffield skincare company on Crookes? Very nice, natural products.

Sheffield skincare company on Crookes? Very nice, natural products.

Oh that's looks fabulous! :clap::banana: I'm going to have to go there and have a look. I'm sure their soaps will be fine having looked at their ingredients. I will have a look at their hand cream too.

Many thanks for posting. I have followed them on Twitter so I don't forget their name.

Guest sibon

Mail order, I know, but The Highland Craft Company do nice things.

Run by very nice people too, who may or may not be related to me:D

If you want to give them a go, send me a PM and I'll get you a full list of ingredients. I have very sensitive skin and it all works fine for me.

There is a really nice shop in Crookes that makes their own soaps and smellies.

Mail order, I know, but The Highland Craft Company do nice things.

Run by very nice people too, who may or may not be related to me:D

If you want to give them a go, send me a PM and I'll get you a full list of ingredients. I have very sensitive skin and it all works fine for me.

I'm surprised there aren't any ingredients listed on their website, I think they are letting themselves down here. Many people buying these products are buying them for ethical or allergy reasons. Will send you a pm.

Forgot to add; my skin isn't just sensitive, its a severe allergy to certain (known) contact allergens.

Edited by Chez2