Fitzalan square regeneration

Lets not forget when they brought the derelict post office back into use after nigh on 20 years would be another more positive aspect.

Very true, but the one doesn't exist because of the other. It's possible to have both.

Theres plenty - first few appear on page 2.

People have criticised the removal of the trees. There is also a post saying the redesign looks bland. I don't think there are any posts saying that redeveloping the area wouldn't be positive are there?

As has been stated by many on this thread already, the trees weren't removed, but the work was done to facilitate the council redevelopment of Fitzalan Square.

Do you gave a problem with facts?

No, 4 trees have already been removed [in 2015]

The remaining 4 big trees are due to be removed. the current plan is to plant 11 new (younger) ones.

Guest makapaka
People have criticised the removal of the trees. There is also a post saying the redesign looks bland. I don't think there are any posts saying that redeveloping the area wouldn't be positive are there?

I would just have expected people to be more positive which is what I said.

I'm positive about it, I'm sick of all the bloody moaning

Who does actually live in ‘the Square’? I was of the opinion that it is in the city centre, how many East Enders were present to protect ‘their’ trees by the way?

None!

Because they all hate them!

They block the light, dribble resin all over vehicles, deposit leaf litter from the end of summer to the end of spring, make perfect perches for birds to poo on parked cars what's to like???

Edited by Crosser

What was wrong with Fitzalan Sq before the trees were cut down? Nothing , apart from the cheap shops that surround it . Your council seems to think that a new paved area (at great cost , when they are skint) will somehow gentrify it with upmarket coffee shops and eateries . At the same time as basically giving up on that side of town

What was wrong with Fitzalan Sq before the trees were cut down? Nothing , apart from the cheap shops that surround it . Your council seems to think that a new paved area (at great cost , when they are skint) will somehow gentrify it with upmarket coffee shops and eateries . At the same time as basically giving up on that side of town

They are not "giving up" that side of town. They are just changing its primary purpose.

I dont know how many times I have to say this on this forum. A city centre is not just some shopping mall.

The newly created public space following the removal of the old dark, dingy and lets face it seedy peace gardens and eggbox has created vast improvements and footfall to the area. The same can happen with Fitzallen Square.

There is far more to the city than just retail.

They are not "giving up" that side of town. They are just changing its primary purpose.

I dont know how many times I have to say this on this forum. A city centre is not just some shopping mall.

The newly created public space following the removal of the old dark, dingy and lets face it seedy peace gardens and eggbox has created vast improvements and footfall to the area. The same can happen with Fitzallen Square.

There is far more to the city than just retail.

well said, will be interesting to see the changes down there

At the same time as basically giving up on that side of town

You're kidding, right?

Grey-to-green (phases 1, 2 and 3), the digital campus, the knowledge gateway, the castle public space, kelham island, etc.

Hardly 'giving up'...

A matter of weeks after the council jet washed the paving slabs and walls in fitzallen square, they are now pulling down the walls.................

High crime and anti-social behaviour area, focal point for vulnerable people, looked run down and was avoided by most any time after dusk?

It's like the castle markets all over again when people got face on about that dump getting knocked down.