Brown Bear Sheffield City Centre - closed? Now re-opened.

I think everyone knows what he meant.

Why don’t you drink in the Norfolk?

It's just a pub, not a badge of honour.

I went in the Norfolk years ago when it was the only place that opened late around there (not legally I don't think). It wasn't very good though, so I didn't stay for long and maybe only went once. I remember keg beer (old style keg beer I mean!) and about 7 old men - cuttsie and his mates no doubt.

Guest makapaka
It's just a pub, not a badge of honour.

I wasn’t suggesting it was.

I am a bit slow but when did Old Mother red Cap close? Any reasons?

Sam Smiths are advertising for a management couple on Gum Tree. Posted on February 16th 2018 so the closure may only be temporary.

Do they still not allow singing in there .. what a shame , I used to do it regularly ...

The last time I went in it was full of old men but had 2 roaring fires going .. spot the connection lol

And we all know what Humphrey wants

This could be the demise of the last proper drinking pub in town and the least expensive that sells proper beer, not the likes of Vicars dangly bits and nuns #### at £6 a pint

Old Queens Head has nice ale and relatively cheap (£3.10 a pint) also try The Red Deer, The Bath Hotel etc

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 12:31 ----------

Let us hope so , if the Bear shuts then the only City proper. pub left for proper Sheffielders to sup in will be the Norfolk on Dixon Lane.

again, what qualifies as 'proper'? I can think of half a dozen good pubs in the centre. Isn't that enough?

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 12:32 ----------

I think everyone knows what he meant.

Why don’t you drink in the Norfolk?

I don't. What does he mean?

It's back open

Different landlord, I take it?

I hear its the landlord moving from the Royal Oak at Ulley to take it over

As long as it is not different prices it doesn't really matter. Brown Bear 2 pints and 2 halves for the four of us for less than£7, Botanical (or whatever they call the pretentious place) about £18 for similar. Bring back the British boozer..

Purely down to personal taste I find the Sam Smiths beers like ditchwater. I don't believe in supporting any business run by a tyrant. The managers only last 18 months anyway before Mr Smith ships them out.

Purely down to personal taste I find the Sam Smiths beers like ditchwater. I don't believe in supporting any business run by a tyrant. The managers only last 18 months anyway before Mr Smith ships them out.

The mild and the cider are nice, agree with you about the beer, but it is no better in the Bot for 3 times the money.